Typical view of Armand Bayou on a moonless night.
If you are unaware of the CLAPS caches and how they work or if you have never paddled the CLAPS caches before, please read the cache page for the first in the series HERE: 01 N CLAPS.
This is the 6th Annual CLAPS Nighttime Paddle Event. Except this time, there is no moon! The full moon is on Christmas day, actually, and hosting an event on that day would result in a no-questions-asked divorce. As such, it was decided a new twist was needed - no moon at all. The New Moon is the day before this event, so it will be plenty dark out there.
No moon just means that we need EVEN MORE lights and more festive boats on the water so we can see where we're going! Light up your yak or canoe and decorate it with whatever festive thing you can think of. Bring it to Bay Area Park and prepare to launch for a parade on the water. We'll paddle under no moon whatsoever and experience the bayou like few other people have - shrouded in complete darkness.
This event launches from and returns to BAY AREA PARK.
This event is open to everyone! If you join us on the water
we'll have special CLAPS night-paddle mini coin for you if you have not already received one.
We will begin meeting at Bay Area Park around 5:15 p.m. (+/-) but note: we will launch promptly at 6:00 p.m. and then start paddling along our route. Please arrive early enough to be ready for departure! You can return whenever you'd like (but note, you're on your own if you leave the group -- please use the buddy method if you break off), but the plan is to be back no later than 9:30 p.m. so everyone can load their gear and leave the park by 10:00 p.m. when it closes. This event officially runs from 5:25 p.m. to 6:03 p.m., and you don't need to go kayaking to attend this event.
For those of us planning on kayaking: we will determine where we are going once we are there, based on several factors, including: tide levels, wind, weather conditions, number (and craziness) of participants, etc.
Cautions for all participants: There are risks involved in getting out on the water. Please read and heed the warnings on all of the CLAPS cache pages, which will give you more information on the area, including warnings and recommendations. The CLAPS caches are all bookmarked, and can be found HERE: CLAPS V2 Bookmark.
Things you need to consider and consider bringing specifically for this event if you're joining us on the water:
- You will get wet, and possibly soaked, at this event.
- It may be cold. It may not be cold when you leave. It may become cold on the water. Bring appropriate clothing so you're not left in the cold.
- Most people will decorate their kayaks with lights and other festive holiday decorations. Don't be that one person that doesn't! If you are renting (or just attending and not paddling), decorate yourself instead! The dorkier and more over-the-top the better!
- Bring something to drink. Even though it may not be hot you may get thirsty. Consider an insulated cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate, too!
- Jackets, blankets, towels, and (shudder) even Snuggies are recommended!
- Wear clothes and shoes you don't mind getting wet, muddy, and possibly stained.
- Wear a PFD / Lifejacket.
- Wear glow sticks so we can see you at night. Pretend this is a kayak rave.
- Bring a flashlight. Or a spotlight. Or both. Headlamps work great, just turn it off during the picture (see group photo from a prior night event, below) and don't look at other people while paddling.
- Bring a change of clothes in case you get wet / cold. There are real restrooms you can use to change clothes before you go home, out to eat afterward, etc. near the boat launch. Make sure your ride back is comfortable.
The CLAPS Wherigo starts at the boat launch. Be sure you have downloaded the cartridge to your GPSr and/or smartphone. Bay Area Park has some caches in it, and the trail along Bay Area is loaded with caches (including a multi and some letterboxes). Consider bringing your bike for some great caching before the event!
Please log a will-attend log online as soon as you can.
If you don't have a boat or are a new paddler, post a note here! You may find someone with which you can share a ride in a canoe or a tandem yak. We will do our best to help you get out there! There are also several rental places - contact me through my gc.com profile if you need information.
Is this is your first time paddling? Don't worry! After 15 minutes on the water you'll have it down and feel like a pro. Don't let your first-time status stop you! Besides, it's dark and nobody can see your mistakes.
Bring your camera and sense of adventure and come have a great time, rain or shine!
Get your boat ready or secure your rental and
~~ LOG YOUR WILL ATTEND NOW! ~~
You don't want to miss this event.
Just some of the festive boats and paddlers from a prior year's event!
This paddle Paddle Event hosted by
members and CLAPS COs.
Come visit our website