The Penmere railway station serves the northern part of Falmouth on the Maritime Line from Truro to Falmouth Docks.
Penmere Halt as it was first called was opened at the beginning of July 1925 to serve a large housing estate (for docks workers) in course of development to the west of Falmouth. The term “platform”, which usually denotes a staffed halt, was soon applied to Penmere, a single 300ft-long platform on the east side of the single line with a booking office/waiting shelter and metal goods shed.
In 1940 a loop was installed leading to a fan of four sidings to the south of the platform on the Truro side. These served a MoD oil depot which closed in March 1967. After several years of neglect a group of local residents formed the “Friends of Penmere Station” and with their encouragement a brick shelter with a wooden canopy supported by three stanchions was erected in 1999. Two GWR era and two modern metal seats stand alongside the shelter. At the Truro end of the platform there are the remains of a bridge that once crossed the track.
Penmere is by some way the busiest of the stations on the Falmouth branch line. Brave makes regular use of the station on his way to work in Truro.
***Congratulations to Tredge for FTF***