Douglas Cardinal - renowned Canadian architect - has designed a number of exceptional and very distinct buildings. Cardinal really likes curved edges and dramatic elements. Many of his buildings are brightly coloured (e.g. schools where children pick the building colours) and all are unique in shape. Your mission is to locate a building designed by Douglas Cardinal. These are scattered across Canada (particularly the west)and around the world. Cardinal has designed schools, churches, museums, and a host of other buildings - including the one featured here, in our initial posting.
This image is the Odyssium (formerly the Edmonton Space and Sciences Centre) located in Edmonton Alberta. The building was erected in 1984 - and is very cool when seen from a distance! Its unique shape reflects Cardinal's vision of a building's design being a representation of its purpose.
Here are the rules:
- standard locationless rules apply - one log per cacher, and each building can only be logged once
Let's see if we can log all of them!
- take a picture of the building, with your GPS in full view, and log any info you can provide (including where the building is located, type of building - church, school etc., and other details)
- post the coordinates of the building
- Cardinal's inspiration for each building is also very unique - inspired, in part, by his aboriginal heritage; feel free to post details on what has inspired the building's design.
- some of the buildings are quite famous, others less so. If possible, please provide some kind of proof that it is one of Cardinal's designs (a picture of a plaque if possible, or email me a URL of some documentation of the building's heritage)