Located on the Hamilton Highway, Lismore is a town in Victoria located halfway between Geelong and Warrnambool.
Lismore was surveyed and named in the 1850s and grew through the years to become a prosperous service town for the surrounding fine wool producing properties.
Its peak of population was probably in the 1950s when many of the large properties of the area were divided up to make farms for returned soldiers. Since the late sixties, Lismore has slowly become more of a retirement town, though it still has a good primary school and other facilities for younger residents. For its size, the town has a remarkable array of services and recreation and leisure activities.
The town today features one of the state's oldest private chapels, a Gothic revival style building built by Scottish emigrant Adam Robertson in 1867 from bluestone. There is also a large woolshed, capable of shearing 15,000 merinos, built by Robertson in 1841.
The town and surrounding area produces wool, lamb, cereals and oilseed canola.Businesses include 3 cafes, hotel, B&B, service station, grain dealer, farm machinery dealer, stock and station agent, post office and newsagent, several craft shops and a supermarket. There is a preschool primary school and a P-12 college in nearby Derrinallum. There is a community health centre with a visiting doctor and many preventative health program. There is a swimming pool and several well laid out playgrounds.