Northgate station at Bury St Edmunds is a Grade II listed building and was designed by Sancton Wood (who was also the architect of Ipswich and Cambridge railway stations). It was connected to Ipswich in 1846 and the line was extended to Newmarket in 1854.
One of the most striking features of the station, which is built of red brick with stone dressings, is a pair of towers (originally linked by an overall roof, removed in 1893) on either side of the tracks at the eastern end of the layout. The two photos below show the front of the main station building in 1853 and now in 2016.
This image shows a locomotive and one of the sheds in 1953
This photos shows a diesel at a platform at Northgate station
The brick arch bridge over Northgate Road to the east of the station building is also a Grade II listed building, built by Frederick Barnes and Charles Russell. The signal box in Bury St Edmunds station yard is also a Grade II listed building.
The two rail routes which today pass through and stop at Northgate station are the Peterborough to Ipswich and Cambridge to Ipswich lines.
For more information on SideTracked Caches please visit www.SideTrackedSeries.co.uk