Winterborne St Martin (Martinstown)
The 478th in a series of caches where a red telephone box
is in close proximity to a post box
Winterborne St Martin, commonly known as Martinstown, is situated four miles south-west of Dorchester, beside pre-historic Maiden Castle. Originally there appear to have been three settlements in the parish: Martinstown in the centre, Ashton in the east and Rew in the west.
In 1268, Henry II granted a charter to Winterborne St Martin, which allowed the village to hold an annual fair within five days of St Martins Day. The fair, which in times past was a leading horse market and amusement fair, had been revived, but the old-time custom of roasting a ram was replaced once during an event in the 1960s with a 'badger roast'. The 80lb badger was caught in a snare and many villagers thought they were eating goose!
The village featured in the UK Weather Records for many years as having the highest daily recorded rainfall. This occurred on July 18th 1955, with 279mm (11 inches) falling in a 15 hour period.
This Fine Pair is sited adjacent to the village post office and shop.
To find the cache…
What is the telephone number of the phone box? 01305 ABCDEF
N 50° 41. (A) (B) (D+D)
W 002° 29. (C-D) (C-D) (E-D)
Checksum for all co-ordinates = 63
The final location is a short walk (or drive) from the Fine Pair
The cache is a small magnetic container
PLEASE REPLACE CAREFULLY