The 481st in a series of caches where a red telephone box
is in close proximity to a post box
Compton Valence is a well-watered village, lying in a hollow in the hills of the Dorset Downs at the head of a small tributary to the River Frome. The area has been settled from the earliest of times, as evidenced by ancient burial mounds and traces of a Celtic field system.
In the Roman era, the village supplied water to Dorchester, 7 miles to the west. Appropriately for a parish famed for its water, there is an idyllic, tree-lined pond near the centre of the village and another in the grounds of the 17th century manor house (formerly the rectory), just to the north of the Church of St Thomas à Becket.
The Roman name of the village is unknown, the present name being a mixture of Old English topographical terms and a family name. ‘Compton’ means ‘farm or estate in a valley’, from Old English ‘cumb’ for valley and ‘tun’ for estate, while the manorial affix comes from William de Valencia, Earl of Pembroke, who was granted the manor here in 1252.
Compton Valence is known locally for the magnificent display of snowdrops that bloom along its verges in late winter. This Fine Pair are sat outside of the community hall.
To find the cache…
On the telegraph pole sat in between the Fine Pair, what are the numbers on the white label? ABCDEF
N 50° 44. (B) (C+E) (D)
W 002° 34. (A-B) (C+F) (B+E)
Checksum for all co-ordinates = 42
The final location is a short walk from the Fine Pair
The cache is a small magnetic container
PLEASE REPLACE CAREFULLY