Jackson Heights Historic District. Eagle Theatre
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Near Roosevelt ave train station.
You shouldn't have too much trouble with this one. Please put it back between the rock and the hard place, high. Bring a pin or nail to get to the log out. This seems to be a place where you can snatch, walk, sign, and rehide. Snatch by stretching and leaning because muggled activity can be high.
This was the closest I could find to the Eagle Theatre without being muggled to death.
There were five historical movie theaters in Jackson Heights, which are all currently either repurposed or closed. The Art Deco Eagle Theater, opened in 1936 on 37th Road between 73rd and 74th Streets, was a neighborhood movie theater before becoming a porn theater and then, with the name changed to Bollywood theater, before a strike in the Bollywood industry caused the theater to close permanently in 2009; it is now a food court selling South Asian food.
Jackson Heights was a planned development laid out by the Queensboro Corporation beginning in about 1916, and residents came after the arrival of the Flushing Line into Jackson Heights in 1917. The community was initially planned as a place for middle- to upper-middle income workers from Manhattan to raise their families. The Queensboro Corporation coined the name garden apartment to convey the concept of apartments surrounded by a green environment. The apartments, built around private parks during this time, contributed to Jackson Heights being the first garden city community built in the United States, as part of the international garden city movement at the turn of the 20th century. Most of the buildings in Jackson Heights are the Queensboro Corporation apartments, built within a few blocks of the Flushing Line, which are typically five or six stories tall and are located between Northern Boulevard and 37th Avenue as part of that planned community. Targeted toward the middle class, the Queensboro Corporation-based the new apartments off of similar ones in Berlin. These new apartments were to share garden spaces, have ornate exteriors and features such as fireplaces, parquet floors, sun rooms, and built-in bathtubs with showers;and be cooperatively owned.In addition, the corporation divided the land into blocks and building lots, as well as installed streets, sidewalks, and power, water, and sewage lines. Although land for churches was provided, the apartments themselves were limited to white Anglo-Saxon Protestants, while excluding Jews, Blacks, and perhaps Greeks and Italians.
Hfr fgrnygu, be crbcyr jvyy guvax lbh'er ahgf.