How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The station was opened by the Dingwall and Skye Railway on 19 August 1870,but operated from the outset by the Highland Railway. The station hotel was built by Alexander Ross and opened in 1871. It was extended by William Roberts in 1898 and again at the turn of the 21st century.
Taken into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923, the line then passed on to the Scottish Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.
It was once an important railhead, handling passengers, mail and freight bound for parts of Wester Ross, including Gairloch and the Loch Torridon area. All freight in this area now travels by road. The station building still serves as a postal distribution point, but the mail travels from Inverness by road.
There are 4 trains a day to Inverness