Staying with the theme of last year's event, we'll celebrate US Independence Day in a fashionably late way on the 9th July 2016.
The event proper will begin at 1pm and last until 2pm at least.
For information on how to get to the island, please contact me through my geocaching profile.
It is imperative that you book your spot on the boat in advance as space is limited and if you just turn up on the day without booking, you may not get a space.
If the weather is bad, we will not be able to get there and Plan B will kick in (a meeting nearby on the mainland, see waypoint).
When on the island, please remember that you are on privately owned land. The Neale Family kindly give permission for day visitors to Great Saltee, provided the sailing is with a boatman they have approved. Please take heed of the following rules and safety issues:
* Please pay careful attention to the cliff areas as the ground is unsteady and may give way.
* Please remember you are in a remote location and help might be slow.
* No camping is allowed on the islands at anytime. The lighting of fires is strictly forbidden.
* Please take with you any rubbish you might have as rare birds and rabbits could be harmed.
* Drone aerial photography is strictly forbidden as it is both a nuisance and danger to the birds.
* Permission will not be given for overnight stays to any one at anytime.
* Visitors with dogs are advised to keep on a lead at all times for their safety.
Permission cannot be granted for tourists to visit the Little Saltee due to the dangerous landing conditions.
Family in Residence:
The family is in residence when the flag is flying. Please afford them privacy and do not approach the house.
Please follow all directional signs i.e. To Throne, To Boat, Private No Entry etc.
Day visitors are allowed on the Great Saltee between 11:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. only. Arranged trips from Kilmore Quay are approved within these hours. Any visitors landing a boat outside of these hours will be asked to leave.
There are no facilities on the island, so please remember to bring water and snacks with you. There will be an FTF draw and a chance to explore the island before heading back to the mainland.
The Geocaching Junkie