The Cascade Foothills of eastern Washington are the scenic juncture between the rugged mountains and the more arid eastern side of the state, and they have an abundance of natural features that support a wide variety of recreational activities. There are lakes (such as nearby Lake Wenatchee), wild rivers and river canyons, granite mountains, countless acres of national forest, and stunning wilderness areas and sagebrush steppe.
Summer activities include hiking, road and mountain biking, rock and ice climbing, boating, swimming, river rafting, paddle boarding, sailboarding, zip lining, paragliding, and, of course, geocaching. In winter, you can add cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling to the repertoire.
For those looking for a more rugged adventure, the Enchantments are an alpine wilderness of pristine lakes set among soaring mountain peaks, with access points just outside Leavenworth. They are so popular that a lottery system determines who can backpack, hike, and camp in this federal wilderness area each summer.
The Old Plain Bridge is a local landmark in the small village of Plain. It crosses the upper Wenatchee River just a few miles southeast of where it leaves Lake Wenatchee. This former road is now closed to traffic, is a popular place for walkers, mountain bikers, and snowmobilers.
The cache: This short, 2-waypoint multi shows off the bridge and the town. Find the plaque on the bridge and answer the following:
- Number of commissioners listed with a full first name = A
- Number of letters in the first name of the county engineer = B
- Number of letters in the first and last name (ignore middle initial) of the county engineer = C
- Number of times the letter E appears in the contractor's first name = D
- A + D = E
Cache location: N 47 46.AAB W 120 39.CDE
Note: There is no cell signal in most of Plain, so you may want to print the page, use a GPS unit, or come prepared with alternative means of viewing the page and entering the final coordinates.
We hope you enjoy your visit to the quaint village of Plain!
The Cascade Farmlands GeoRomp is a series of 12 caches that showcases the agriculture, recreation, and scenery of North Central Washington. Each cache has a different theme and highlights a different community: Leavenworth, Plain, Peshastin, Cashmere, Wenatchee, East Wenatchee, Entiat, Chelan, Manson, Orondo, Waterville, and Quincy.
- There are 12 geocaches in the series, and all the names start with "CF GeoRomp:" Bookmark list.
- Visit the GeoRomp page to download your passport and see the series prize.
- To qualify for a prize, you must stamp the passport with the ink stamp inside each cache. The passport includes instructions for claiming your prize (150 available, one per family/household).