Skip to Content

Multi-cache

SideTracked - Yeovil Pen Mill

A cache by Dorset Scarecrow Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 6/10/2016
In South West England, United Kingdom
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Yeovil Pen Mill Railway Station

Yeovil Pen Mill railway station is one of two stations currently serving the town and is situated just under a mile to the east of the town centre. The station is located on the Heart of Wessex Line and is managed by Great Western Railway, with trains being operated by them and by South West Trains.

Pen Mill railway station was opened by the Great Western Railway (GWR) as a central station on part of the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway (WS&WR) route on 2nd February 1854, with a branch to Hendford completed the following year. The Great Western Railway opened a locomotive depot at the station in September 1856.

The WS&WR had begun construction on a line between Westbury and Dorchester in 1846, but got into financial difficulties. Work was, however, completed on the Westbury to Frome section which opened in 1850 and GWR took over the WS&WR when the company was dissolved the same year. Pen Mill Station was built in the eastern end of a field called Great Medway.

By 1856, work was progressing on the 26-mile section between Frome and Yeovil, with stations at Witham, Bruton, Castle Cary, Sparkford and Marston Magna and it opened in the September. In 1857, the Yeovil to Weymouth line opened, together with the branch line between Maiden Newton and Bridport.

In 1860, the Salisbury and Exeter line opened a station at Yeovil Junction with an extension to Hendford and the new Town Station the following year. A goods line, which connected Yeovil Junction with Pen Mill, was opened in 1864.

The Pen Mill locomotive depot operated until January 1959, when it was closed and the locomotives transferred to Yeovil Town depot. Long-distance trains from Pen Mill had ceased in September 1961, leaving only Yeovil Junction with a service to London. The service between Yeovil Junction and Pen Mill was also withdrawn from 5th May 1968.

However, nearly 50 years later, the two stations were again connected by a direct service. Following a successful public consultation and achieving regulatory approval, South West Trains and Network Rail Alliance were able to fulfil their promise in 2015 to link Pen Mill with Yeovil Junction, running regular trains on a rarely-used line between the two stations. Previously there had been no connecting service between the stations, meaning passengers would have to alight at one station and make their own way to the other for onward services.


There is free parking at the railway station and on the approach road


To find the cache…

Stage 1: Outside of the ticket office is a trains/tickets/disabled access sign. What is the sign reference number? HPS ABCD

Stage 2: What is the telephone number of the station phone box? 01935 EFGHJK

Final co-ordinates:
N 50° 56. (K-E) (A+F) (H-D)
W 002° 36. (B+K) (C+J) (E+G)

Checksum for all co-ordinates = 63


The final location is a short walk from the station - it is not within the station yard

The cache is a small magnetic container
PLEASE REPLACE CAREFULLY


This cache belongs to the SideTracked series.
More information can be found at the SideTracked website.


Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Genpx onfr cyngr

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

46 Logged Visits

Found it 45     Publish Listing 1     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 5 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 10/15/2017 9:15:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time (4:15 PM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page