(the site of) Evershot Station
Sir Frederick Treves described the Dorset village of Evershot as “a neat, wholesome, over-grown village, which remains still modest and unassuming, although dignified by a railway station”. Opened on 20th January 1857 by the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway, Evershot station was two miles from the village it served at Holywell.
Served by trains running through the Frome valley, on what is now known as the Heart of Wessex Line, the quite sizeable station across double tracks consisted of two platforms, a small goods yard, a loading dock and signal box and became part of the Great Western Railway. Remaining in that company in the grouping of 1923, it was placed in the Western Region when the railways were nationalised in 1948. The station closed when local trains were withdrawn during the Beeching closures, taking effect on 3rd October 1966.
Little remains of the station today in the wide area it occupied just 100 yards south of the 308 yard long Evershot tunnel, although the single-track Weymouth to Bristol line still remains, its trains providing a transport artery through the tranquil chalkland valley bottom.
This is a traditional cache hidden at the given co-ordinates
The cache is a 35mm film pot
PLEASE REPLACE CAREFULLY
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series.
More information can be found at the SideTracked website.