If arriving by car, the best approach is down Wadloes Road as there are bollards across Ditton Walk and there is no vehicular access from one to the other. Enter Ditton Meadows on foot via the trailhead T1.
Barnwell Junction station was opened on 2 June 1884 by the Great Eastern Railway. It was closed to passengers on 18 June 1962, and closed completely on 31 October 1966. There appear to be platforms with some track still in place, and the station building still survives at the end of a gated drive, but it is now a privately owned residential property.
Being the first station on the Cambridge to Mildenhall line, Barnwell Junction was within the City of Cambridge. Darren Kitson (on the Disused Railways website www.disused-stations.org.uk) says that "the station was a little odd in that it was immediately adjacent to the main Cambridge to Ely line, yet had platforms serving only the Mildenhall branch, so it was not, strictly speaking, a junction at all".
The image below is of Barnwell Junction station in about 1963 looking away from Cambridge, showing the main Cambridge to Ely line and the Mildenhall branch platforms to the right:
Darren Kitson also tells us that "during wartime, Barnwell Junction was used for unloading ambulance trains; it is believed to have done so in WWI and certainly did in WWII, but exactly how these lengthy trains were handled at such a small station is not known"
This image (taken in 2016) is a view looking towards Cambridge from a bridge which takes a public footpath over the Cambridge to Ely railway line. Barnwell Junction station was behind the trees on the left:
These surviving fragments of track (image taken in 2016) can be seen from the reference point R1 on Ditton Meadows:
This map shows Barnwell between Cambridge and Fen Ditton Halt:
For more information on SideTracked Caches please visit www.SideTrackedSeries.co.uk