Skip to Content

<

#06 - Elvas Património Mundial

A cache by Elvas-Geocaching Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 05/30/2016
Difficulty:
2.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: other (other)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Por favor, tenham muito cuidado com o container para não o danificar!
Please be very careful with the container to avoid damage!


Aqueduto da Amoreira

O Aqueduto da Amoreira, no Alentejo, localiza-se na freguesia de São Brás e São Lourenço, concelho de Elvas, distrito, em Portugal. Liga o local da Amoreira à cidade de Elvas. Com 8,5 quilómetros de extensão, 843 arcos com mais de cinco arcadas e torres que se elevam a 31 metros de altura, é considerado o maior aqueduto da península Ibérica. História: Desde a época da ocupação árabe a povoação de Elvas era abastecida pelo poço de Alcalá, situado perto do antigo Paço Episcopal. No entanto, a partir do século XV, devido ao aumento da população, o poço tornou-se insuficiente para abastecer de água a cidade. No início do reinado de Manuel I de Portugal, este autorizou o lançamento de um imposto, o "Real de Água", para serem executadas obras de conservação no poço medieval. Estas obras não resolveram os problemas de abastecimento existentes, pelo que a edilidade local pensou em construir um aqueduto que trouxesse a água desde os arrabaldes, no local da Amoreira, até ao centro da cidade. Em 1537 João III de Portugal designou o arquiteto Francisco de Arruda, então mestre das obras do Alentejo e autor do Aqueduto da Água de Prata de Évora, para executar o projeto do novo aqueduto de Elvas. As obras iniciaram-se no mesmo ano, prosseguindo até 1542, data em que a extensão do canal chegava ao Convento de São Francisco. Seguiu-se então a execução da parte mais complexa do projeto, uma vez que depois dos seis quilómetros iniciais já edificados, os arcos do aqueduto iriam aumentar de dimensão. A obra tornava-se cada vez mais onerosa, embora os impostos cobrados aos habitantes da cidade destinados à edificação do aqueduto fossem sendo aumentados ao longo dos anos. Em 1547 as obras eram suspensas devido à falta de verbas, sendo retomadas somente em 1571. Esta segunda campanha de obras, que terá sido orientada pelo engenheiro Afonso Álvares, prosseguiu até 1580, quando a subida ao trono de Filipe I de Portugal originou uma nova interrupção dos trabalhos. As obras foram retomadas no início do século XVII, e cerca de 1610 concluiu-se que era necessário alterar o projeto do aqueduto, dando-lhe mais altura, para que fosse possível levar a água até ao Largo da Misericórdia. Esta decisão atrasou ainda mais a conclusão dos trabalhos, devido não só às dificuldades práticas relacionadas com o trabalho de engenharia como também pelo aumento dos custos do projeto. Finalmente, em 1620 correram pelo aqueduto as primeiras águas dentro dos muros da cidade, que iam então desembocar numa fonte provisória construída junto à antiga Igreja da Madalena. No ano de 1622 estava concluída a Fonte da Misericórdia, que finalizava o percurso das galerias do aqueduto, tornando-se um dos pontos centrais da cidade. Durante a Guerra da Restauração a defesa de Elvas, cidade fronteiriça da maior importância estratégica, tornou-se um imperativo, e a localização do aqueduto transformou-se num obstáculo à construção de um novo conjunto de fortificações, pelo que os engenheiros militares puseram a hipótese de derrubar o aqueduto, possibilidade avalizada por João IV de Portugal. A povoação de Elvas opôs-se a esta medida, e o conde de São Lourenço, governador da Praça-forte de Elvas, conseguiu através de uma petição à Coroa que o monarca desistisse da demolição. Para contornar as dificuldades do abastecimento da cidade durante a guerra foi edificada uma cisterna, desenhada pelo engenheiro Nicolau de Langres, e edificada na década de 1650, segundo um modelo "abobadado e à prova de bomba", que foi ligada ao aqueduto através de um cano subterrâneo. Já na segunda metade do século XX sofreu a ruina de alguns arcos na zona mais elevada sendo reparados com a utilização das técnicas disponíveis à data. Encontra-se classificado como Monumento Nacional desde 1910 e integra o sítio denominado Cidade Fronteiriça e de Guarnição de Elvas e as suas Fortificações, classificado pela UNESCO como Património Mundial desde 2012.

The Amoreira Aqueduct, Alentejo, located in São Brás and São Lourenço, Elvas municipality, district of Portugal. Links Site Amoreira the town of Elvas. With 8.5 kilometers long, 843 bows with more than five arches and towers that rise to 31 meters high, is considered the greatest aqueduct in the Iberian peninsula. History: Since the time of the Arab occupation Elvas village was fueled by well Alcalá, located near the former Bishop's Palace. However, from the fifteenth century, due to increased population, the well has become insufficient to supply water to the city. At the beginning of the reign of Manuel I of Portugal, this authorized the release of a tax, "Real Water" to be executed conservation works in medieval well. These works have not solved the existing supply problems at the local Town Council thought of building an aqueduct that brought water from the suburbs, at the site of Amoreira, to the city center. In 1537 John III of Portugal appointed the architect Francisco de Arruda, then master of the works of Alentejo and author of the Aqueduct of Évora Silver Water, to run the project of the new aqueduct of Elvas. The works began in the same year, continuing until 1542, when the channel length arrived at the Convent of San Francisco. Then followed the execution of the most complex part of the project, since after the initial six kilometers already built the aqueduct arches would increase in size. The work became increasingly onerous, although the taxes charged to the city's inhabitants for the building of the aqueduct were being raised over the years. In 1547 the works were suspended due to lack of funds, and resumed only in 1571. This second campaign works, which have been driven by Afonso Alvares engineer, continued until 1580, when the accession to the throne of Philip I of Portugal gave a new interruption of work. The works were resumed in the early seventeenth century, and around 1610 it was concluded that it was necessary to change the aqueduct project, giving you more time for it to be possible to carry water to the Largo da Misericordia. This decision further delayed the completion of the work, not only because of the practical difficulties related to the engineering work as well as the increase in project costs. Finally, in 1620 ran for the first aqueduct water inside the city walls, which would then arrive at an interim fountain built next to the ancient Church of the Magdalene. In the year 1622 it was completed the Fountain of Mercy, which finished the route of the galleries of the aqueduct, becoming one of the central points of the city. During the War of Restoration the defense of Elvas, a border town of the utmost strategic importance, has become an imperative, and the location of the aqueduct became an obstacle to building a new set of fortifications at the military engineers hypothesized to tear down the aqueduct, possibility guaranteed by John IV of Portugal. The village of Elvas opposed to this measure, and the Earl of St. Lawrence, governor of Square-strong Elvas, managed through a petition to the Crown that the monarch gave up the demolition. To overcome the difficulties of the city's supply during the war was built a cistern, designed by Nicholas Langres engineer, and built in the 1650s, according to a model "vaulted and bomb-proof", which was connected to the aqueduct through a underground pipe. In the second half of the twentieth century it suffered the ruin of some arches in the upper part being repaired with the use of the techniques available at the time. It is classified as a National Monument since 1910 and part of the site called Border Town of Elvas and trim and its Fortifications, a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2012.

Elvas, Património Mundial Elvas, World Heritage

Integrado nas paisagens do Norte Alentejano, uma unidade territorial caracterizada por uma enorme diversidade natural e paisagística, característica da peneplanície alentejana de horizontes abertos, amplas searas, montados, olivais, vinhas, cursos de água e albufeiras, está o concelho de Elvas.

Já no que toca à cidade, Elvas está situada a 8 km de Badajoz (Espanha) e constituiu um ponto estratégico de defesa da fronteira, herdando um vasto património militar de reconhecido valor e autenticidade. Foi classificado como Património da Humanidade todo o centro histórico, as muralhas abaluartadas do séc. XVII, o Forte de Santa Luzia, o Forte da Graça, o Aqueduto da Amoreira e os três fortins: de São Pedro, de São Mamede e de São Domingos ou da Piedade.

O conjunto de fortificações de Elvas, cuja fundação remonta ao reinado de D. Sancho II, é o maior do mundo na tipologia de fortificações abaluartadas terrestres, possuindo um perímetro de oito a dez quilómetros e uma área de 300 hectares. Construídas no âmbito da Guerra da Restauração, as muralhas abaluartadas são um exemplo notável da primeira tradição holandesa de arquitetura militar.

Mas Elvas não se limita às suas muralhas. Dentro e fora das mesmas há um conjunto enorme de pontos de interesse que formam o vasto património desta terra e que se ramifica pelos mais diversos aspetos. Abordaremos alguns, mas muitos outros poderiam ainda ser referidos! O melhor mesmo é sair de casa e vir conhecer esta terra secular de que tanto nos orgulhamos. O convite está feito: Venha conhecer Elvas!

Integrated in the North Alentejo landscapes, a territorial unit characterized by an enormous natural and landscape diversity, characteristic of Alentejo peneplain of open horizons, large grain fields, mounted, olive groves, vineyards, rivers and lakes, is the municipality of Elvas.
 

As for the city, Elvas is located 8 km from Badajoz (Spain) and was a strategic point of defense of the border, inheriting a vast military heritage of recognized value and authenticity. It was classified as a World Heritage the entire historic center, the bulwark walls of the XVII century, the Fort of Santa Luzia, the Fort of Graça, the Amoreira Aqueduct and the three small fortresses: São Pedro, São Mamede and São Domingos or Piedade.

The set of Elvas fortifications, whose foundation dates back to the reign of King D. Sancho II, is the largest in the world in the typology of land bulwark fortifications, having a circumference of eight to ten kilometers and an area of 300 hectares. Built during the time of the Restoration War, the bulwark walls are a remarkable example of the first Dutch tradition of military architecture.
 

But Elvas is not limited to its walls. In and out of them there is a huge set of points of interest that make up the vast heritage of this land and that branches off by several aspects. We will cover some, but many others could still be mentioned! The best thing is to leave your home and come out and see this secular land of which we are so proud. The invitation is made: Come and discover Elvas!

Boa cachada!

Elvas Geocaching


Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Ab trbpurpxre.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.