Skip to Content

This cache is temporarily unavailable.

Elvas-Geocaching: Infelizmente continuamos a ver quem não se quer proteger a si mesmo e pior do que isso não pensa em proteger todos os outros que estão à sua volta, por isso as nossas caches ficaram todas desativas por tempo indeterminado. Serão reativadas logo que as autoridades de saúde considerem seguro as pessoas circularem com normalidade.

More
<

#34 - Elvas Património Mundial

A cache by Elvas-Geocaching Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 05/30/2016
Difficulty:
2.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: other (other)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Por favor, tenham muito cuidado com o container para não o danificar!
Please be very careful with the container to avoid damage!


Convento de São Francisco

A primeira fundação do convento de São Francisco em Elvas data de 1518 mas a sua localização não satisfez os monges devido à situação insalubre em que se encontravam. O edifício actual teve a sua construção iniciada em 1591 quando D. Fernando da Silva e a sua esposa D. Beatriz de Brito doaram grande parte do terreno. Situado num alto junto ao Aqueduto da Amoreira, o convento tornou-se sempre alvo de assédio em período de guerra, tendo mesmo sido visto por alguns militares como um entrave à cidade. Deste lado o inimigo podia acercar-se sem ser visto e até mesmo instalar-se aqui para atacar. Assim aconteceu em 1658 e 1659 quando os espanhóis o ocuparam para esse efeito e também no início do séc. XIX aquando das invasões francesas. A artilharia da praça deixa o edifício várias vezes em ruína motivo pelo qual foi muitas vezes alvo de reconstruções. O convento de São Francisco de Elvas foi finalmente desocupado em 1834 pela Lei de expropriação dos bens das ordens religiosas, sendo logo em 1842 afecto ao Cemitério Público.

Em termos arquitectónicos o edifício está totalmente descaracterizado do seu aspecto inicial devido a obras aqui efectuadas nos séculos XVII, XVIII e XIX. Ainda assim é de uma monumentalidade interessante. O interior da igreja é simples e dá acesso a um claustro pavimentado em calçada portuguesa. Todo o convento sofreu obras de reabilitação e é desde 2006 ocupado pelo Arquivo Histórico Municipal de Elvas.

The first foundation of the Convent of São Francisco in Elvas is dated from 1518 but its location did not satisfy the monks due to the unhealthy situation they found themselves into. The construction of the current building started in 1591 when D. Fernando da Silva and his wife D. Beatriz de Brito donated most of the land. Located on a high hill next to the Aqueduct of Amoreira, the Convent became a privileged target during war, being regarded by some military specialists has an obstacle to the city. From this side, the enemy could approach without being seen, even settle here and prepare an attack. And so it happened in 1658 and 1659 when the Spanish occupied it and again in the nineteenth century, during the French invasions. The artillery of the stronghold left the building several times in ruins so it was reconstructed many times. The Convent of São Francisco of Elvas was finally emptied in 1834 due to the Law of Expropriation of assets from religious orders and added in 1842 to the Public Graveyard.
 

Concerning the architecture, the building no longer resembles the original design due to the works performed here during the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Nevertheless it is an interesting monument. The interior of the church is quite simple and give access to a cloister paved with Portuguese “calçada” (traditional Portuguese flooring technique). The entire convent was rehabilitated and since 2006 it is occupied by the Historical Archive of the Municipality of Elvas.

http://www.cm-elvas.pt/pt/turismo/locais-a-visitar/119-patrimonio-religioso
Elvas, Património Mundial Elvas, World Heritage

Integrado nas paisagens do Norte Alentejano, uma unidade territorial caracterizada por uma enorme diversidade natural e paisagística, característica da peneplanície alentejana de horizontes abertos, amplas searas, montados, olivais, vinhas, cursos de água e albufeiras, está o concelho de Elvas.

Já no que toca à cidade, Elvas está situada a 8 km de Badajoz (Espanha) e constituiu um ponto estratégico de defesa da fronteira, herdando um vasto património militar de reconhecido valor e autenticidade. Foi classificado como Património da Humanidade todo o centro histórico, as muralhas abaluartadas do séc. XVII, o Forte de Santa Luzia, o Forte da Graça, o Aqueduto da Amoreira e os três fortins: de São Pedro, de São Mamede e de São Domingos ou da Piedade.

O conjunto de fortificações de Elvas, cuja fundação remonta ao reinado de D. Sancho II, é o maior do mundo na tipologia de fortificações abaluartadas terrestres, possuindo um perímetro de oito a dez quilómetros e uma área de 300 hectares. Construídas no âmbito da Guerra da Restauração, as muralhas abaluartadas são um exemplo notável da primeira tradição holandesa de arquitetura militar.

Mas Elvas não se limita às suas muralhas. Dentro e fora das mesmas há um conjunto enorme de pontos de interesse que formam o vasto património desta terra e que se ramifica pelos mais diversos aspetos. Abordaremos alguns, mas muitos outros poderiam ainda ser referidos! O melhor mesmo é sair de casa e vir conhecer esta terra secular de que tanto nos orgulhamos. O convite está feito: Venha conhecer Elvas!

Integrated in the North Alentejo landscapes, a territorial unit characterized by an enormous natural and landscape diversity, characteristic of Alentejo peneplain of open horizons, large grain fields, mounted, olive groves, vineyards, rivers and lakes, is the municipality of Elvas.
 

As for the city, Elvas is located 8 km from Badajoz (Spain) and was a strategic point of defense of the border, inheriting a vast military heritage of recognized value and authenticity. It was classified as a World Heritage the entire historic center, the bulwark walls of the XVII century, the Fort of Santa Luzia, the Fort of Graça, the Amoreira Aqueduct and the three small fortresses: São Pedro, São Mamede and São Domingos or Piedade.

The set of Elvas fortifications, whose foundation dates back to the reign of King D. Sancho II, is the largest in the world in the typology of land bulwark fortifications, having a circumference of eight to ten kilometers and an area of 300 hectares. Built during the time of the Restoration War, the bulwark walls are a remarkable example of the first Dutch tradition of military architecture.
 

But Elvas is not limited to its walls. In and out of them there is a huge set of points of interest that make up the vast heritage of this land and that branches off by several aspects. We will cover some, but many others could still be mentioned! The best thing is to leave your home and come out and see this secular land of which we are so proud. The invitation is made: Come and discover Elvas!

Boa cachada!

Elvas Geocaching


Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Ab trbpurpxre.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.