Jonkershoek Hike Event (30 Sept)
Friday, 30 September 2016
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Jonkershoek Hike Event
|Date : 30 September 2016 - Friday.
Time : 07h00 to 07h30.
Reason : Quick get together for all Geocachers before the hike in Jonkershoek Reserve at 07h30.
Hike Leader : Anton (Artifakt)
|Various hikes will be lead by local geocachers during the time you are in our beautiful City. There are different hikes to suit everyone, from the Sunday-walk-the dog-to-the-park cacher, to the craziest extreme adrenaline junkie, and everybody else in between. Pick a hike that suit you, and come and enjoy a walk with us on the mountains of Cape Town. Have a look at the hike rating to get an idea of what kind of hike you can expect. Take note of what you need to bring along for the hike you choose. @Safetymountain will be informed of all our hikes, and will assist in case of any unforseen situation. Every Hike leader will have a first aid kit with him/her as well. Please log your will attend in advance.
|Just outside Stellenbosch you will find the rugged Boland Mountains. Jonkershoek Kloof is a popular hike with the locals, leading you past two spectacular waterfalls. The going really gets tough beyond the second waterfall when you go up Kurktrekkers, but we will spare you the aches and pains in the legs. Those of you that are a bit more adventurous can attempt Hello Gorge-ous, which is not too far beyond the second waterfal. Don't forget your camera at home.
This hike is rated 2Bc (see Hike Rating Image)- Hike duration: 5Hrs
|Your Hiking Checklist. - Essentials.
1) Hiking Boots or Good Tekkies (Not Crocs or Sandals) and Synthetic/Wool Socks.
2) Sun Protection - Sunscreen, Lip Balm, Sunglasses.
3) Insulation - Warm Jacket, Long Pants (Even though the weather is mild this time of the year, it can change rapidly either way) and a Wide Brim Hat (Heatstroke and Sunburn is a very real danger)
4) Illumination - Headlamp or Flashlight (plus extra batteries)
5) Nutrition - Lunch and Snacks (Energy bars/chews/trail mix)
6) Hydration - 3 Liters of Water !!!
9) Cellphone - fully charged.
10) R40.00 Conservation Fee / Wild Card for free entry to be paid/presented at entrance to Reserve.
Your Hiking Checklist. - Optional.
1) Camera or Helmet Cam.
2) Quick-dry Towel.
3) Trekking poles.
5) Toilet paper - you never know.
Caches along the route (bookmark)
||Tweede Waterfal Redux
Participation in this hike is entirely at your own risk. The Cape Town 2016 committee and/or the hike leader can not be held liable for any incident arising such as injury, illness, damage, loss, mishap, accident or any other occurence, during the hike, including travelling to and from the event. Before setting off on the hike you will be asked to sign an indemnity agreement.
The hike leader reserves the right to refuse an individual from partaking if he/she feels that such person will endanger him/herself and/or others on the hike.
[This event is open to all Geocachers. The hike afterwards is optional, and is not part of the event ]