Building 35 was originally constructed in 1912 as U.S. Army barracks. In 1921 it became the 9th Corps Area Headquarters and later was converted to the 4th Army Headquarters. In 2005 the building was rehabilitated to serve as a high school, the Bay School of San Francisco. The building’s historic features were retained and repaired, while new building systems and a structural upgrade were performed in the service of the new use. On February 19, 1942, Executive Order 9066 was signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. In response, General John L. DeWitt issued military proclamations from his office in this building that resulted in the internment of over 100,000 Japanese Americans during World War II. Although this was a very dark time in American history, the beautiful building is still in use today as a high school.