We are heading westwards on my Cook Strait Lookout series. Well done if you have found the first two! GO Wellington uses run regularly from central Wellington to Island Bay, Houghton Bay and Lyall Bay. There's a walking track along the coastline. There is carparking right next to the cache.
We are now heading along The Esplanade towards Island Bay, or if you are driving the other way, eastwards towards Houghton Bay. This windswept bit of coastline is notable for flooding and the washing up of gravel and small stones during southerly storms. The waves into Houghton Bay can get quite ferocious at times.
The whole coastline here is part of the Taputeranga Marine Reserve, which runs from Lyall Bay to Owhiro Bay.
Fishing and the removal or disturbance of any living or non-living marine resource is prohibited, except as necessary for permitted monitoring or research. If you come across any research equipment, do not disturb it.
There are also penalties for:
- Discharging toxic substances or pollutants.
- Disturbing wildlife such as marine mammals and birds.
- Wilfully damaging marine life or the natural features of the reserve.
- Building an unauthorised structure.
- If you see people taking anything from the reserve, report the activity to 0800 DOC HOT (0800 362 468). Also report pollution, oil spills, navigation hazards and dangerous boating to Greater Wellington Regional Council's Environmental Protection Hotline (0800 496 734).
The cache contained when placed: Logbook, pencil, fridge magnet, ball, two toy cars and playmoney souvenirs for the first to fourth to find. Please place the cache back as found.