The Howden-Le-Wear war memorial was unveiled 11th November 1924 by Capt. R.A. Howe of Willington; dedicated by Rev. R.S. Spencer, vicar of Howden.
The memorial is an Obelisk on a square base and two shallow steps, the lowest one measuring 3 feet 2 inches x 2 feet 11 inches. Total height is 13 feet 3 inches. Three sides are plain. It is surrounded by five short stone columns joined by iron bars. The front of the obelisk is carved with sword, a rifle and a wreath in half relief.
***** PLEASE NOTE IMPORTANT *****
CACHES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PLACED ON ACTUAL MEMORIALS OR WITHIN THE BOUNDARY OF SUCH
AT ALL TIMES PLEASE TREAT LOCATIONS OF MEMORIALS WITH RESPECT