Toponaut: Fountainhead North
Important note: It is suggested that you complete one of my other Toponaut series before attempting this one (see: Toponaut: Hemlock and Toponaut: Fountainhead East). Both of those series have detailed primers to get you started reading the maps and telling you what to do when you get to a red star. This series does not, and assumes you are familiar with the methods employed to find the Toponaut caches.
To find this cache, you must first retrieve the clue from the Toponaut: Fountainhead North 2, Relics cache.
Inside this cache, you you will find a clue needed to search for Toponaut: Fountainhead North 4, Supreme Commander of the Mappable Universe.
This series needs to be done in sequence, both geographically, in order of difficulty, and to retrieve clues to continue. All together the series will lead to about a 2-mile round trip hike (or possibly more of course!).
You will need:
- A color printout of the topo map and the legend (both are found in the Gallery). Each cache page has a zoomed-in portion of the big map. You don't need to bring the zoomed-in ones, just the big one from the Gallery.
- A compass (your GPS compass will suffice if you trust it).
- The knowledge of how to project a waypoint using your GPS device.
Navigate to the red star. Use the information gathered at previous cache in series to project waypoint.
- The purple shaded area is private property. Do not enter.
Some other notes:
- Within the cache you will find a distance and bearing needed for the next cache in the series. Record this but don't take it with you.
- Have fun exploring! However this is mostly ungroomed territory so be mindful of quicksand and rodents of unusual size.
Links to caches:
No night caching
Best Series 2016