This is a great opportunity to help liberate the forest floor of invasive plants and shrubs from around our Oaks and increasingly abundant native species at Salamander Springs. We'll be working in the Oak/Hickory forest a few hundred yards from the trail clearing invasive brush.
March 11th, 2017
9AM - noon Saturday morning
Salamander Springs is at the North end of Adams Drive (1 mile W of Randall Rd off Binnie Road and next to Binnie Forest Preserve). Take the gravel drive on the East to the trail head. If the area around the trail head fills, park at the end of Adams and walk up. Salamander Springs is part of Dundee Township Open Space.
Over 100 acres of oak/hickory woods, ponds, wetlands and fields that provide excellent habitat for birds, small reptiles and amphibians. Salamanders and small mammals are particularly fond of this site.
*** WHY come to a restoration workday? ***
• Restoring healthy land and water ecology
• Working outside in the woods on a beautiful day
• Reconnecting to mother earth
• Being with friends old and new
• Learning more about our natural areas and restoration techniques from experienced experts
• Participating in our continuing story of the restoration of a unique public open space
* A fire!
* Find a lonely cache!
* Scope out a spot for your next geocache hide!
*** WHAT to expect ***
We will be clearing around old oak and hickory trees. This will involve cutting of invasive underbrush, dragging it to fires and targeted herbicide application. In addition to the clearing efforts you can:
• Meet, network, brainstorm, learn and plan with others who attend
• Encourage the group and assist with misc. tasks
• Commune with and help us name our large Oaks
• Take photos, videos or write about your experience at the workday
• Hike the Salamaner Springs property with family and friends (bring your kids!)
• Bring snacks/food to feed and encourage the group
• What else? What's your gift? Anyone can attend and contribute.
Dress to work outdoors appropriate to the weather and task. Bring water and eye protection, gloves provided. Dress in layers.
16 and older please. Note, there are no public restrooms at the site. Dundee Township Open Space requires volunteers to complete and sign waivers once every calendar year.