In 1876, when a raging fire threatened the levee area of Marshalltown, William Fisher was called from his home to maintain water pressure for the town’s firemen. Exhausted from hand throttling the steam-driven pumps through the night, he felt there must be a better way to control the pumps and maintain them at a constant pressure. In 1880 he applied for a patent to the Fisher Type 1 constant pressure pump governor, and began manufacture on the corner of First Avenue and Linn Street.
Since then, the company has grown considerably, becoming one of the largest employers in Marshalltown. They continue to grow, and have been purchasing neighboring properties. Until a time when future expansion occurs, they have torn down the dilapidated and condemned structures and planted grass and other vegetation.
Here’s to expectations of the company continuing to keep Marshalltown green.