Some 17-12 million years ago (Miocene), unusual volcanoes, called basalt floods, erupted in eastern Washington and Oregon. These volcanoes were cracks in the earth’s crust, several miles long, which poured out floods of liquid molten rock. 41,000 cubic miles (170,000 cubic kilometers) of this lava spread to cover large parts of Oregon and Washington. The ancient Columbia followed more northern and westerly routes to the pacific until the combination of uplift, lava flows and the formation of the cascades conspired to move the river to its current course. In historical times it was common for spring floods in this area to inundate this area and downtown Kennewick. Since the completion of the upstream dam system this bit of levee has remained untested.
Tri-Cities 2017 Geocoin Challenge
Fire & Ice of the Mid-Columbia
- Travel around Tri-Cities (including West Richland) to find 28 of the 32 geocaches (7 out of 8 per city) to earn a set of 4 geocoins. No partial coin sets will be distributed.
- All the caches have code words or paper punches.
- You must also have a geocache account to receive your geocoin.
- Coins will NOT be awarded to pets or to children 10 and under.
- Passport must be INTACT and completed to receive your coins.
- Kids (12 and under) who complete the challenge the weekend of the event will receive a prize.
- To receive your coins, return your completed passport to Sacajawea State Park on Saturday, June 24, 2:00-8:00pm and Sunday, June 25, 9:00am-12:00pm.
- Beginning Sunday, June 25 after 2:00pm, pick up coins at Richland Parks and Recreation (N46 16.369 W119 16.273 ~ (509) 942-7529 ~ Mon-Fri 8am-9pm, Sat 9am-8pm, Sun 12-4pm)
Geocoin Challenge Entry Form
Kennewick: K01-GC73Q3Y, K02-GC73GQP, K03-GC73Q4N, K04-GC73Q47, K05-GC73X4F, K06-GC73X4M, K07-GC73X6D, K08-GC73X5F
Pasco: P01-GC74TCH, P02-GC74TH9, P03-GC74THT, P04-GC74TH2, P05-GC74TET, P06-GC74TE5, P07-GC74TD4, P08-GC75N8G
Richland: R01-GC701PZ, R02-GC705E2, R03-GC705EM, R04-GC705F8, R05-GC705FK, R06-GC705G4, R07-GC705GT, R08-GC705H6
West Richland: W01-GC70ZTB, W02-GC70ZTD, W03-GC70ZTF, W04-GC70ZTH, W05-GC70ZTM, W06-GC70ZTQ, W07-GC70ZTP, W08-GC70ZTN