Skip to Content

Traditional Geocache

Welcome to Kraslava

A cache by ilvars Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 4/29/2017
In Latvia
Difficulty:
1 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

[LV] Krāslava tiek uzskatīta par vienu no senākajām rakstītos avotos pieminētajām apdzīvotajām vietām Latvijas teritorijā.


  • Krāslava was an important hillfort on the waterway from the Varangians to the Byzantine Empire since early Middle Ages, part of the orthodox Principality of Jersika in the 13th century.
  • In 1558 was mentioned for the first time in written sources of Livonian Order as Kreslau (in German).
  • In 1676 the church was built by Jesuit Order and Krāslava became the most northern located center of the Jesuit movement on the border with the areas dominated by Protestant and Orthodox churches.
  • In 1729 Count Ludvig Plater bought Krāslava. For nearly two centuries the Plater family determined Kraslava economical and cultural life.
  • Craftmen from Poland and Germany in co-operation with local people organized the production of carpets, velvet, silk and cotton material, weapons, jewellery and other goods. The goods were in demand at the four Kraslava fairs and also exported to Courland, Poland and Germany.
  • Between 1757 and 1842 Krāslava was home for a Roman Catholic seminary, one of the first educational institutions in Latgale region.

Additional Hints (No hints available.)



 

Find...

47 Logged Visits

Found it 42     Didn't find it 1     Write note 1     Publish Listing 1     Needs Maintenance 1     Update Coordinates 1     

View Logbook

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 9/16/2017 4:35:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time (11:35 PM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page