It goes without saying the cache is not at published coordinated
**This cache is located within an area frequently patrolled by Police. Please avoid acting suspiciously whilst searching for it, and if challenged, explain about geocaching**
The station was opened on 24 December 1868 by the District Railway (DR, now the District line) when the company opened the first section of its line between South Kensington and Westminster stations.
The construction of the station was complicated by the crossing of the site by the River Westbourne which ran through Hyde Park as the Serpentine Lake and was originally crossed by the Knight's Bridge at Knightsbridge. The river was carried above the platform in a large iron pipe suspended from girders. It remains in place today.
The DR connected to the Metropolitan Railway (MR, later the Metropolitan line) at South Kensington and, although the two companies were rivals, each company operated its trains over the others tracks in a joint service known as the "Inner Circle"
On 1 February 1872, the DR opened a northbound branch from its station at Earl's Court to connect to the
West London Extension Joint Railway (WLEJR, now the West London Line) to which it connected at
Addison Road (now Kensington (Olympia)). From that date the "Outer Circle" service began running over the DR's
tracks. The service was run by the North London Railway (NLR) from its terminus at Broad Street (now demolished)
in the City of London via the North London Line to Willesden Junction, then the West London Line to Addison Road.
Due to financial problems, the DR extended only one station further east, which is Mansion House - the new eastern
terminus of the DR.
From 1 August 1872, the "Middle Circle" service also began operations through Sloane Square running from Moorgate along the MR's tracks on the north side of the Inner Circle to Paddington then over the Hammersmith & City Railway (H&CR) track to Latimer Road then, via a now demolished link, to the West London Line to Addison Road and the DR to Mansion House. The service was operated jointly by the H&CR and the DR.
On 30 June 1900, the Middle Circle service was withdrawn between Earl's Court and Mansion House. On 31 December 1908 the Outer Circle service was also withdrawn.
In the late 1930s, the station building was rebuilt in the modern style and escalators were installed between the ticket hall and the platforms. The new station building did not last long as it was mostly destroyed during World War II. A German bomb that fell in November 1940 killed 37 and injured 79 passengers on a trainin the station and destroyed the ticket hall, escalators and the glazed roof over the tracks.
In 1949, the Metropolitan line operated Inner Circle route was given its own identity on the tube map as the Circle line.By 1951 the station had been rebuilt again in a similar style to the 1930s building. The arched glass roof was not replaced and the current station does not have the light open atmosphere of the original. The office building above the station entrance is a later addition.
All the information is located outside the station and no actual need to enter.
SEC = Look high
HOLES = Number of holes in the shelter (Look up and under)
P = Look for a box
FP = Look for another box (since some clever person put a sticker over the FP I will need to adjust the multi, but for now FP=1)
GREEN = Around the corner one has a two digit number (oh guess what it's green)
HANGING = How many hanging flower pots can you see attached to station (Baskets have gone for winter until they are back the number you are looking for is 5)
Now with the numbers you collected do a little maths:
The high difficulty rating is due to the very high number of muggles hovering around the cache area, so MAXIMUM stealth is required here.
THE SIDE TRACKED SERIES
SideTracked Caches are intended to provide quick Cache-and-dashes at railway stations. For more information on SideTracked Caches, please visit the SideTrackedweb site.