Skip to Content

Traditional Geocache

SideTracked - Lostwithiel

A cache by spooky_luke Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 6/27/2017
In South West England, United Kingdom
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Related Web Page

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

About SideTracked Caches

This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It’s a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More information can be found on the SideTracked website.

As the name suggests Lostwithiel railway station serves the town of Lostwithiel, which is located between Bodmin and St Austell in Cornwall. It is situated on the Cornish Main Line which links Plymouth and Penzance.



Originally opened with the coming of the Cornwall Railway on the 4th of May 1859, the pretty station was soon credited as being 'the handsomest station on the line'!

Another facility that the station boasted addressed the problem of overcrowded trains. A number of workshops had been built near the station during the construction of the railway to produce the various timbers needed for the wooden viaducts, stations and track. Following completion of the railway, some of these sheds were converted to house additional carriages that could be put into immediate use should an influx of passengers wishing to join a train at Lostwithiel necessitate their use.

The Lostwithiel and Fowey Railway opened for goods traffic on the 1st of June 1869. However, a more direct route from Par to Fowey took most of the traffic and the trains from Lostwithiel to Fowey were suspended on the 1st of January 1880. The Cornwall Railway subsequently leased a part of the line to store rolling stock and the line was reopened by the Cornwall Minerals Railway on the 16th September 1895 for both goods and passengers. The passenger service was finally withdrawn on the 4th January 1965 but the line remains open to carry china clay to the jetties at Fowey.

Sidings on the east side of the level crossing came into use on the 30th April 1932 to handle milk train traffic from a milk factory.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Ebpx gur Ohggresyl Ohfu

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

48 Logged Visits

Found it 47     Publish Listing 1     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 2 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 10/7/2017 4:08:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time (11:08 AM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page