Set for the 2018 Winter Geolympix with permission from the National Trust. If you intend to attempt the Letter/Box Challenge on Mega day you may want to leave this until then.
Note this Puzzle-style Letterbox/Hybrid cache is NOT at the given co-ords. It is within two miles or 3.2Km of this point though.
I've hosted several Geocaching Quiz Nights* at various events and always enjoy setting a range of questions. I aim for 1/3 that everyone will get, 1/3 that many/most will get and 1/3 that really sort the men from the boys, to use a gendered phrase with no real gender-neutral equivalent.
Without using a web search if possible answer the following questions to generate the co-ords you need, based on N 51° 4A.BCD' W 0° 3E.FGH' and converting the required letter into a number in the time-honoured way: A=1, B=2, C=3,.. J=0,.. Z=6. There's some duplication in case you're struggling.
Round 1: Cha-cha-cha-Changes.
1. It was known as Jorvik to the Vikings. What is it called today?
First letter = E.
2. Snickers were previously marketed as what in the UK until 1990?
First letter = H.
3. What's the actor born as Maurice Joseph Micklewhite on 14 March 1933 better known as?
Forth letter of first name = A. Fourth letter of the second name = C.
4. Between 1825 and 1856 this large island - a British Crown Colony at the time - was called Van Diemen's Land. It's now called what?
Number of letters in the name = B.
5. Consensus on this planet's name wasn't reached for nearly 70 years, during which it was variously referred to as Herschel (its discoverer), as Georgium Sidus by Herschel, and Neptune. By which name is it known today?
First letter PLUS ONE = G.
6. It's Sri Lanka these days, but what was it called before 1972?
First letter = D.
7. Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta (born March 28, 1986) is best known by what stage name?
First letter of the second word = F.
8. The Romans called this West Country city Aquae Sulis. What's its modern name?
First letter = G.
9. Automotive firm Datsun was renamed in 1984. What did it become?
First or last letter = C.
10. Opal Fruits are now known by which brand name?
First letter MINUS TWO = F. Fourth letter = B.
Please DO NOT remove the stamp or ink pad. Neither is a swap - They make this cache a LetterBox/Hybrid. Thank you!
Note: Count yourself lucky! This was going to echo Oxford Needs Another Nano - set for the 2012 Oxford Geolympix - which is a D5 puzzle. However, I've taken pity on folks looking to find all the Letterbox/Hybrid caches for the Letter/Box Challenege at the Winter Geolympix and made this a far easier puzzle!
*These have included:
Please join us on Sun Aug 30th 2020 at
15 Years? You Get Less for Murder aka BBH#125! in 2018.
BBH114 Bordering on Hesitation, Repetition or... and
BBH#112 - Bordering on the Dönerstag! Quite Infur' in 2017.
BBH#94 Bordering on No Roads!/ GeolympixCountdown9 and
BBH#89: Bordering on a New Quiz Format! in 2015.
Pointless Geocachers! A caching pub quiz and
10 Years, Man and Cacher aka BBH#65! in 2013.
12-12-12 aka 20:12:12 12.12.2012 aka BBH#60 and
SP's Geolympix Pub Quiz in 2012.
See my profile for events 2004-2011 ;)
GC8C8C9 - GEOLYMPIX IV: STOWE 2020
"The Perfect Vision!"