About Jordanhill Station
The station opened on 1 August 1887 as part of the Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway. Construction of the station structure was not completed until 1895, with modular-design wooden buildings, commonly seen on the new suburban railway lines, being built on both platforms. The station is located on part of the former site of brick and tile works, Jordanhill being an area of artisans and miners until the close of the nineteenth century. The railway station arrived just as much of the local industry was declining, giving residents, who previously had to walk to Hillhead or Partick to find transport into Glasgow, proper access to the city centre.
The station's opening effectively filled a gap in provision, as lines in the area had already been constructed; the Whiteinch and Stobcross Railways both opened in 1874, but no station was constructed on these lines at Jordanhill. A new link allowed services to Whiteinch Victoria Park to begin in 1897, but they ceased in 1951 and the link was closed to freight in 1967. The route of the link has been converted into a nature walk from Victoria Park to Jordanhill station, running alongside the existing line for approximately half its length.
Bring your own tweezers and pen
CONGRATULATIONS TO GILLY-SCOT AND SHORTBREAD69 ON THEIR JOINT FTF!