Newmarket's first station opened in 1848 (see REALLY SideTracked - Newmarket All Saints GC78MCQ). At first this station was a terminus, but the railway was extended northwards towards Bury St. Edmunds on 1 April 1854 which involved tunnelling under Warren Hill to the north of the 1848 station. The tunnel went under the Bury Road and the line emerged just to the other side of the road. On 21 April 1885 another station - Warren Hill - was opened at this north end of Warren Hill Tunnel. It had a single island platform, and trains from the north could terminate here. The station was originally to the left of the railway line on the photo above, which was taken looking down from the Bury Road.
There was a wooden booking office on the south end of the platform and a covered set of steps going up towards Bury Road.
This small station was built to receive an increasing number of passengers arriving from the east and the north on race days particularly from cities such as Lincoln, Leeds and Manchester. Warren Hill continued to be used until at least 1945.
The third Newmarket SideTracked cache is near the station still in use today (SideTracked - Newmarket Station GC67166)
For more information on SideTracked Caches please visit www.SideTrackedSeries.co.uk