REALLY SideTracked - Haughton
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website
About Haughton Station
The Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company constructed and ran one of the few railways in England which were built by a canal company. The railway was the Stafford to Shrewsbury line via Newport and Wellington. The SUR&CC were solely responsible for the section from Stafford to Wellington.
The line was planned by the Shrewsbury & Stafford Railway and completed by the Shropshire Union Railways & Canal Company in 1849. By 1846, however, it had already been leased in perpetuity to the LNWR, so it passed to the LMS at the grouping.The Stafford to Shrewsbury Railway opened on 1 June 1849 . The passenger service in 1863 was Stafford-Shrewsbury with 8 trains on weekdays and 3 on Sundays, the Stafford-Newport journey taking 30 minutes. 100 years later there were 8 on weekdays and 2 on Sundays. Passenger services on the Stafford to Wellington section ended on 7 September 1964 and goods services ceased between Stafford and Newport on 1 August 1966.
It left the WCML just north of Stafford station at North Staffs Junction (SJ915243) and passed between Bagnall's Engineering Works and the Universal Grinding Wheel Company. After 1 mile it passed under the M6 motorway (opened only a few years before the line closed) to head SW and after a further 3 miles passed under the A518 at Haughton.
Virtually the whole of the route between Stafford and Newport has been converted into a long distance footpath The Way for the Millennium. It starts from Castlefields (a housing estate a mile out of Stafford) and ends at the new A41 bypass in Newport.
Stafford station is still open, while Haughton was demolished and is now a small car park and picnic area; Gnosall has no trace and in Newport housing now occupies the up side but the station house survives together with edging slabs of the down platform.
The small car park at Haughton is the site of the old goods yard and Station. The stones around the car park are the ones used in the platform and the sections of sleepers are those used on the line. The waiting room and ticket office were under the bridge and the evidence of these buildings can still be seen.
Please bring pen/pencil and tweezers.
Fdhner va n ebhaq? Arne fglyr. #oneorq jver arne TM fb or pnershy.# Cyrnfr Ercynpr svezyl va fvgh.