GREAT BALLS OF FIRE - 9th Annual
Saturday, February 3, 2018
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A weekend full of Geo Activities!
• 282 2018 GBF Welcome!!!, Fri, 6P-8P, Camano Plaza-GC7FDAY
• Cama Beach Dirty Dozen CITO, Sat, 9:30A, Cama Beach SP-GC7G6B1
• 9th Annual GREAT BALLS OF FIRE, Sat noon-5PM, Cama Center-GC7EYPD
• Ivy & Plastic CITO, Sun, 9A, Camano Island SP-GC7G6BC
9th Annual GREAT BALLS OF FIRE
Saturday, February 3rd, Noon - 5PM at Cama Beach State Park
Sharpen Your Geo Skills - attend one of our classes
• Geocaching 101 12PM-1PM at Cama Center with Ranger Tina.
Start your adventure here. Geocaching is a real world, outdoor treasure hunting game, all you need is a GPS-enabled device. Use skills of problem and puzzle solving, sleuth for and identify clues, learn navigation and orienteering. GPS devices available for class participants to use, so no need to have equipment, just good clothing for an outdoor adventure. Learn the rules, terminology and find several geocaches in this introductory class.
• Creating an EarthCache 12PM-1PM at Cama Center with Prying Pandora.
EarthCaches take us to fabulous places and help us learn about the unique geology of that place. If you enjoy finding EarthCaches, perhaps it's time for you to create one! Came find out how you can set one up.
• Trackables 12PM-1PM at Cama Center with Rey Del Roble.
Gather around the Travel Bug tables and he’ll explain how to “Discover” and “Grab” Travel Bugs and other Trackables. RDR will give tips for setting up and launching TBs.
Other GBF Activities - be sure to take part!
• Trackables to "Discover" and "Grab" 12PM-5PM at Cama Center.
12PM-5PM “Discover” Travel Bugs on the RED table: Some Travel bugs are too special to let go of, but their owners bring them out to Events to let other geocachers "Discover" them. Some of the trackables on this table were issued by the founders of geocaching. Others special trackables commemorate landmark geocaching moments such as the "Going APE" mega-events or 12 minutes after noon on December 12th 2012.
After 2PM “Grab” Travel Bugs from the GREEN table: Have you been holding a travel bug for a while? Here's your chance to send it off with a new person. Electronically "Drop Off" your travel bug at the GBF Event, then as soon as you get to Cama Center actually put it on the Green table so others can "Discover" it. After 2PM we hope all trackables on the green table will be "Grabbed" by a new person.
• Find the Coordinate Contests 12PM-3PM, one at Cama, one at Camano Is SP
To enter the contest, pick up an entry card from Rey Del Roble at Cama Center. Each State Park has a point marked with a Camano Chamber of Commerce sign (the entry card will have complete details). Determine the exact coordinate of both points. Return to Cama Center by 3 PM to submit your guesses to RDR. Attend the 4PM Program to see who wins the Glass Ball!
• Find the Glass Balls 12PM-4PM, one at Cama and one at Camano Island SP
This will be practice for the Great Northwest Glass Quest that runs February 16-25. We'll hide one plastic "clue ball" ball at each park. The clue balls will only be hidden on official trials (you'll never have to step off the trail to retrieve a ball). The clue balls might be camouflaged, but will be visible. Please do not look near buildings, in parking lots, rock walls or along roadways. When you find the clue ball, bring it back to Cama Center at 4PM to exchange it for the real glass ball.
Buffet Dinner 3PM-4PM at Cama Center
• Lasagna (we'll have both a veggie version and one with meat)
• Garlic Bread
• Garden Salad
$12 plus tax for adults. 1/2 price for kids under 12. Kids 3 and under free.
When you log your "Will Attend" please tell us if you plan to purchase dinner and the # in your group.
The Main Program 4PM at Cama Center
• A Thank You to our wonderful sponsors.
• Early information on this year’s annual Great Northwest Glass Quest.
• Results of the Coordinate Contests – must be present to win the glass balls.
• The clue ball finders get to trade them in for their real glass balls.
• Door prize drawing for glass balls and other prizes - must be present to win.
o Door prizes: 3 hand blown glass balls, geo coins, a variety of cache containers, t-shirts, walking sticks, geo gear.
Parking at the State Parks
An Annual Discover Pass or Day Pass is required to park at the state parks. Annual Discover Passes can be purchase at the Cama Beach Welcome Center from 9AM-5PM Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. One-day passes can be purchased outside the Cama Welcome Center 24/7.
Geocaches Galore & More
While Cama Center is the hub for the workshops, the buffet dinner, and door prize drawings, we hope you’ll explore the rest of Cama Beach SP, neighboring Camano Island SP, plus surrounding Camano Island and Stanwood
• More than 350 caches on Camano Island and in/near Stanwood (40 released for GBF)
• Cama Beach State park is home to 20 caches (plus 5 released for GBF).
• Camano Island State Park has 10 caches (plus 5 released for GBF).
• Each State Park will have a hidden glass ball!
• Barnham Point County Park – just opened in Oct 2017 and has some BRAND NEW caches.
• All new caches will be released FRIDAY AFTERNOON, FEB 2nd.
• Camano Island has many, many trails to hike.
• Tour the Center for Wooden Boats – site of the Cama Coordinate contest.
• Visit Camano Island State Park – site of the CISP coordinate contest.
• You can camp at Camano Island SP and glamp at Cama Beach SP. For info: (360) 387-1550
• For restaurants and other lodging visit "Eat & Stay" on the Camano Chamber of Commerce web site.
A huge thank you to our sponsors
• Camano Chamber of Commerce
• Cama Beach Foundation - sponsor of our three classes
• Cama Beach State Park & Camano Island State Parks
Gur Ybt Obbx vf vafvqr Pnzn Pragre, onpx arne gur svercynpr.
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum