The Keep Traditional Geocache
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The Keep was built in 1859 as a mobilisation store for the Militia. The perceived threat at the time was from France and Napoleon III.
In 1881 it became the main entrance for Victoria Barracks, which was the Regimental Depot for the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry.
The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry started as Fox's Marines in 1702 and in 1715 was reformed as an Infantry Regiment and numbered the 32nd Regiment of Foot. The 46th Regiment was raised in 1748 and in 1782 when county titles were given to Infantry Regiments they became known as the 32nd (Cornwall) Regiment and the 46th (South Devonshire) Regiment. Following the Childers Reforms in 1881 the two were amalgamated to become the 1st and 2nd Battalion of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry with the keep becoming the gatehouse to Victoria Barracks.
Many of the original barrack buildings can still be seen although they are now in private or corporate ownership. The original married quarters which at one time was known as the "Julian Building" (a cash and carry outlet) is now private residences. The barrack buildings also included a hospital and morgue.
During the Second World War the barracks expanded into what is now known as Walker Lines Industrial Estate. Between 1951 and 1956 there was a JSSL ( Joint Services School for Linguistics ) located on the Walker Lines site where selected national service conscripts were intensely taught principally Russian, for covert operations during the Cold War.
A museum was started in the Depot in 1925 and since then it has expanded and houses exhibitions on the first and second floors. It houses a large collection following the history of the Regiment from 1702 and also accommodates the Light Infantry Collection.
This cache is placed with kind permission of Cornwall's Regimental Museum and is available 24/7.
Zntargvp. Cyrnfr ercynpr nf sbhaq fb vg vf bhg bs fvtug.