Ely station was built in 1845 by the Eastern Counties Railway at a cost of £81,500, and the land on which it was built was at that time a marshy swamp! It is built of local Cambridgeshire 'white' brick rather than red. The cache is hidden not far from the station, and within view of it.
Ely railway station has always been a hub where many lines meet, and where passengers often change trains (as well as direction). One of us first 'changed at Ely' on a train from the North over 40 years ago, so it is nostalgic to be creating a SideTracked cache now for Ely station! This view of Ely Cathedral can be seen from the front of the station:
It is a very busy station served by trains running to a variety of destinations including Cambridge, Stansted Airport, London (King's Cross and Liverpool Street), Ipswich, Norwich, King's Lynn, Peterborough, Leicester, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool. In recent years it has had more than 2,000,000 passengers per year.
The Cambridge to Kings Lynn line (which goes through Ely station) is electrified, whereas there are another three non-electrified lines which meet at Ely - Breckland to Thetford and Norwich, a line to March and Peterborough (to the north), and the line from Ipswich which joins to the south of Ely station. The station was modified substantially in the early 1990s, at the time that electrification was taking place.
This view of the station (under the GER or Great Eastern Railway) was taken pre-1923:
This British Railways train at Ely station was headed for Hunstanton in 1958:
Ely station actually won the first prize in the 'Station of the Year' competition in 1987 (medium-sized category).
For more information on SideTracked Caches please visit www.SideTrackedSeries.co.uk