Wolverton railway station serves northern Milton Keynes, especially Wolverton and surrounding nearby districts. The station is on the West Coast Main Line between Milton Keynes and Northampton. The station 8s one of six station serving the Milton Keynes urban area. First built for the opening of the London and Birmingham Railway in 1838, on the embankment just north of the canal. It proved to be temporary as it expanded to the south and built a large permanent station in the southern location in 1840. The new station included refreshment rooms which for a time were famous throughout the land and the waiting room was lavishly redecorated for the visit of Queen Victoria in 1844, who spent that Christmas as the guest of the Duke of Buckingham and Chandos. In 1881 the main line was re-routed to the east to allow for expansion of the Wolverton Railway Works and a new station built. In recent years, with the advent of fast trains, Wolverton gained notoriety among railwaymen for its famously tight curve. The curve was a result of the station being moved eastward in 1881, to permit extension of the Wolverton railway works. The path of the original route is visible at both the north and south ends of the divergence. Near the station, the track crosses the valley of the Great Ouse on a viaduct. Slightly further north, the Northampton loop leaves the main line at Hanslope Junction.
The station has four platforms, of which just two are normally in use. Platforms 1 & 2 are the 'fast' lines and are trains very rarely stop here.