St Peter's Church, Brandon
The Doomsday Survey reports that there was a church in Brandon in 1086AD, but it is almost certain that the earlier parts of the present church are late 13th century. It is most likely that the font dates from the same time or slightly earlier. The tower and westernmost bay of the south aisle (now the children's corner) are late 14th c. Finally, the porch which contains a holy water stoup, is probably 16th c. The church is constructed from flint and stone in a mixture of Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles. The tower contains six fine bells. The stained glass windows are much admired, the finest of which is in the north wall of the chancel. In the churchyard are a few plague graves and near the east gate are two stone 16th c. effigies. A sundial on the tower was erected in 1725, and there are several gargoyles including a Cheshire cat.
There are some really strange looking monuments and three of which hold the clues to the final location of this cache which is not with the grounds of the church.
Please bring a pen and tweezers.
N52 AB.CDE E000 FG.HJK
First locate the three monuments.
- Beatrice Emily Crocker was Born A8th June 1DB4
- Agatha Crocker Died 15th April 19E2
- Rev. Wm Foord Crocker was Rector for K4 years
- He was Born 3rd May 18J8
- He Died Cth Feb 1899
- And Mary Ann Died Frd Oct 1914
- D – A = G
- D – 1 = H
The Cache is located only a very short distance away.
If you would like to add to the Church Micro series yourself then please look here
There is also a Church Micro Stats & Information page that can be found at
Kind permission has been granted by Rev. Sharron Coburn who encourages all to go hunting.