The cache is located near the Mary MacKillop Museum
Mary MacKillop was born in Melbourne in 1842. When she was in Penola she met Julian Tenison Woods and together they opened the first St Joseph's School in 1866.
Mary MacKillop and Julian Tenison Woods founded the Sisters of St Joseph to continue this work. Over the many following years, the number of Sisters grew as did their schools. Schools were opened as the needs arose: in country towns, mining towns, cities. The Sisters also became involved in other areas of need including setting up a refuge for women in need and orphanages for children, visiting prisons and working with the sick.
St Bernard’s School was established by the Sisters of St Joseph in 1890, at the request of Archbishop Carr. It was the first school in the Melbourne Archdiocese conducted by the Sisters of St Joseph.
There is also a Museum which has a large collection of items relating the history of the Sisters, the parish and the Catholic Church on this site.
Mary MacKilop's famous saying was "Never see a need without doing something about it"
Well..... there was a need, a geochache in her honour, and something has been done about it!
This is one of many caches placed in significant locations of her story.
Mary died on August 8th, 1909.
She was declared Australia’s first Saint in 2010.
Thank you to sorceysal for the hide and ongoing maintenance