The Kelvedon And Tollesbury Light Railway was an 8-mile-42-chain (13.72 km) light railway in Essex. The line, which was part of the Great Eastern Railway (GER), was authorised on 29th January 1901, although its opening was delayed until 1st October 1904.
The area served by the railway lay between the GER main line and the coast, mostly agricultural land, with fruit being a main crop. At Tiptree the jam-making firm Wilkin & Sons, founded in 1885, provided a large amount of the freight traffic; it had also been hoped that a tourist trade would ensue from the yachts moored near Tollesbury. The line became known locally as The Crab and Winkle Line.
Of the intermediate stations, only Tiptree, Tollesbury and Tolleshunt D'Arcy had substantial buildings; the others merely had an old passenger coach for accommodation. All the platforms were at a low level; there was no signalling, since only one locomotive worked the line; and only local tickets were issued on the trains; there were no through tickets to mainline stations.
The 1.75 miles (2.8 km) extension to Tollesbury Pier never brought the expected traffic. During World War I it was used for troop training on the river and was subsequently closed to passengers in 1921.The government took it over during World War II and erected defences along it.
The whole line closed for passenger traffic after the last trains on 5th May 1951. Freight traffic continued between Tollesbury Pier and Tiptree until 29th October 1951. The section between Tiptree and Kelvedon continued in use for freight traffic until 28th September 1962.
Inworth railway station was 2 miles 75 chains (4.73 km) from Kelvedon Low Level station. The station was opened in 1904, but was closed along with the rest of the line, on 7th May 1951, when under London And North Eastern Railway ownership.
Between Feering and Inworth was a 1 mile siding called Brooklands which ran off in the Kelvedon direction at right angles to the line to a farm. At Inworth was the first station proper, accompanied by a gated level crossing and Heath Siding, which ran parallel to the line. There is a waypoint for the exact location of the station. Nothing is left of it, and the former track bed is now a perfectly straight farm track. This is private - please do not trespass! The line ran parallel to the B1023 between Feering Halt and Tolleshunt D'Arcy, through Tiptree and Tolleshunt Knights.
The cache is located slightly away from the former station. You'll have to be at least 5'4 to retrieve, or have something to stand on.