The Kelvedon And Tollesbury Light Railway was an 8-mile-42-chain (13.72 km) light railway in Essex. The line, which was part of the Great Eastern Railway (GER), was authorised on 29th January 1901, although its opening was delayed until 1st October 1904.
The area served by the railway lay between the GER main line and the coast, mostly agricultural land, with fruit being a main crop. At Tiptree the jam-making firm Wilkin & Sons, founded in 1885, provided a large amount of the freight traffic; it had also been hoped that a tourist trade would ensue from the yachts moored near Tollesbury. The line became known locally as The Crab and Winkle Line.
Of the intermediate stations, only Tiptree, Tollesbury and Tolleshunt D'Arcy had substantial buildings; the others merely had an old passenger coach for accommodation. All the platforms were at a low level; there was no signalling, since only one locomotive worked the line; and only local tickets were issued on the trains; there were no through tickets to mainline stations.
The 1.75 miles (2.8 km) extension to Tollesbury Pier never brought the expected traffic. During World War I it was used for troop training on the river and was subsequently closed to passengers in 1921.The government took it over during World War II and erected defences along it.
The whole line closed for passenger traffic after the last trains on 5th May 1951. Freight traffic continued between Tollesbury Pier and Tiptree until 29th October 1951. The section between Tiptree and Kelvedon continued in use for freight traffic until 28th September 1962.
Tolleshunt D'Arcy railway station was 6 miles 52 chain (10.7 km) from Kelvedon Low Level station. The station was opened in 1904, but was closed along with the rest of the line, on 7th May 1951, when under London And North Eastern Railway ownership.
The line meandered around the humpy hills to Tolleshunt D'Arcy. The station was a bit of a walk from the centre of the village, much like Tiptree. D'Arcy had a longish siding with two crossovers, a station house and gated level crossing. In the waypoints is a former ungated level crossing. You can see the track bed on both sides of the road, which is now used as a farm track.
This is a simple mystery. Tolleshunt D'Arcy has an unusually French name, but what were the previous historical names for the village?
Tolleshunt-De-La-Zouch, Tolleshunt Burgilons and Tolleshunt Rievaulx = N 51° 45.876' E 00° 49.021'
Tolleshunt Beau Mes, Tolleshunt-Le-Street and Tolleshunt Ridgemont = N 51° 45.677' E 00° 48.248'
Tolleshunt-En-Le-Frith, Tolleshunt Beaulieu and Tolleshunt Magna = N 51° 45.967' E 00° 48.975'
Tolleshunt Tregoz, Tolleshunt Valoines and Tolleshunt De Boys = N 51° 46.222' E 00° 48.941'