Archaeological evidence suggest the first human occupation was around 200,000 years ago. A hoard of 196 handaxes from theAcheulian era was excavated in 1962. This is now displayed in the British Museum. The name is believed to have developed from "Cucula's stone".
Remains of a Roman villa was found under the church yard. The Saxons occupied the village and it became known as Cuckelstane. The church and parish was given by Æthelwulf, King of the West Saxons to the Cathedral church of St. Andrew, Rochester. The church contains much Norman architecture, and is unusual as it lies on a southeast northwest axis. This gave rise to the rhyme, He that would see a church miswent / Let him go to Cucklestane in Kent.
In Tudor times the principal house in the village was Whorne's Place, erected on the river by Sir William Whorne, Lord Mayor of London in 1487. This was later owned by the Leveson family and most notably Sir John Leveson who was Lord Deputy Lieutenant of Kent. This was taken over by the Mashams, strong royalists who moved on to the Mote in Maidstone. The mansion was demolished in 1782 and only an outlying granary, now a house still bearing the name Whorne's Place, survives in 2011.
The coordinates are for the Village Sign and you will need to get some information from here - to locate the cache work out the following ABCDEFGH
A = Number of windows x 2
B = Number of ivy leaves
C = Number of bridge pillars on the left side of the river
D = Number of gravestones
E = Number of bridge pillars x 2 plus number of ivy leaves
F = Number of crosses
G = Number of letters in village name
H = Number of scrolls on the sign
The final location is N51 A.BCD E000 E.FGH
The cache is a short walk away