LACONA ST. MARY'S CEMETERY is located in the southeast quarter of the northeast quarter of Section 21 of White Breast Township. The Cemetery is 3/4 mile north of the main street in Lacona, on the west side of the gravel road.
The town of Lacona was laid out in 1856 by Willis Clevenger and Samuel Myers. It was incorporated on December 5, 1881.
The Parish for the Catholic Church, Saint Mary of the Assumption, was organized in 1910. Original families of the parish were Chris Konrad, Andrew Kessler, Frank Fehrer Sr., Tine Bauer, John Fehrer, John Schultz, P.C. Konrad, Nick Konrad, Ed Bishop and John Carbin. The church was dedicated on August 15, 1911.
The first funeral in the church was that of the twin sisters, Mary Helen Konrad and Josephine Helen Konrad on June 22, 1913. One/half acre of land was purchased from Jerome Konrad on September 30, 1926 to be used for the parish cemetery. Helen Wadle was the first interment (1927).
Burials prior to 1926 were made at the other cemeteries in White Breast Township: Cochran, Hickory Grove, Newbern, Shupe and Willis.
"Please be respectful, do not hunt at night, do not disturb mourners, and leave this peaceful and revered place in good condition. Remember to practice CITO, always. Thank you."
Cemetery and Death Records of Warren County, Iowa, Warren County Genealogical Society, Walsworth Publishing Company, Marceline, Missouri: 1980.