Thomas H. Parrott operated a ferry service beginning in 1860 to connect the mining towns of Tuttletown and Vallecito. During the lake’s dry periods, sandbags laid in the river created a dam that built up the lake level high enough so the ferry could float across. The ferry had a wooden bottom and propelled across the lake by using heavy cables anchored to a large boulder. After filling New Melones Reservoir, the cables, boulder and sandbag remnants are no longer visible.
The ferry service lasted more than 40 years, until 1903 when the first bridge over the river was built. That bridge is now under the waters of New Melones reservoir, but in extreme drought years it eases its way out of the water.
This side road leads to the old bridge, but the cache is not down the road. Try to wait until there is no traffic to find and replace the container.