TEMPORARY CACHE PLACEMENT
- THERE IS NO CACHE CURRENTLY LOCATED IN THE PREVIOUS SOLVED LOCATION. The ammo can was removed on 6/22/19. This cache wound up in the middle of an active logging area. Having geocachers climb over downed trees to get to the cache seemed unnecessarily dangerous.
- The time frame for the heavy machinery activity around GZ is currently unknown. The plastic ammo box was removed for the safety of geocachers. In its place, a temporary bison is currently set up behind the SGL sign at the parking area, which should usually be accessible, even with the ongoing activity around GZ, although please use appropriate discretion when parking in this area.
- The needed ornament code for the field puzzle at the series final is written at the top of the paper log slip inside the bison container.
- Due to proximities of this adjusted location, this is very, very temporary placement. Since this cache is part of geo-art, I wanted a way to keep this cache going as part of the series, but not have geocachers get into a compromising situation with the ongoing logging activities nearby. Once a more suitable location is found, or the logging is ceased, whichever happens first, this cache page will be updated again with a more permanent location for the return of the plastic ammo can. The puzzle on the cache page is updated to reflect the current, temporary placement.
On the Sixth Day of Christmas, mrGreen317 hid for me, a park-and-grab ammo box near some evergreen trees! (And as of June 2019 it is temporarily a bison behind the SGL Sign!)
Welcome to the Twelve Cans of Christmas (12 CoC). Each cache is a simple puzzle that leads to the coordinates of a plastic ammo box (i.e. "Can") somewhere in SGL 108.
While the retailers are packing away the Christmas wares for 2018, the traditional Christmas season actually runs from December 25 through January 5, the "Twelve Days of Christmas". Here are some "regular"-sized geocaches hidden for the "Twelve Cans of Christmas" to grab this Christmas season or any other time of the year when geocaching is on the day's agenda.
Find this cache by using the simple puzzle, then plug the solved coordinates into the built-in coordinate checker on this page.
F = The number of geese a-laying in the song (not the image above) given on Day 6
Then the caches is at:
N 40 39.[ 7 - F ] [ 10 - F ] [ 8 - F ] W 078 32.[ 1 + F ] [ 2 + F ] [ 14 - F ]
Note the simple math inside each bracket is to be solved for a single digit that makes up the decimal part of the final coordinates.
This cache location is designed to be another fairly quick park-and-grab in State Game Land 108. There is ample parking at a pull-over spot off Marina Rd which does have signs indicating state game land use. Please note that this (original) location has (had) the potential to be muddy/swampy with soft ground from parking to GZ. The walk is (was) around 200 feet or less to GZ, but good water-proof footwear might be recommended after any significant rain or snow-melt. There may be some brush/thorns between the parking and the woods at GZ, but much of the way will be open woods. Due the proximity to the road, watch for possible muggle activity, especially when the foliage is low as in the winter months. As of June 2019, please do not enter the active logging area past the SGL parking!
Please note that ticks have been reported at other locations in SGL 108 this winter by geocachers, so be watchful. Ticks pose a potential health risk, so please be sure to check that any ticks are removed from one's person after seeking the geocache.
This cache is located in state game lands, so PLEASE observe all state game land rules and wear orange during hunting seasons. During the primary hunting season, finding this cache is recommended on Sunday only.
Clues for the series final cache
- Each of the Twelve Cans should have an ornament affixed to the inside of the lid, attached by chain. Please be sure to leave this attached ornament with the container, as it is a clue needed to log the final cache.
- If interested in the series final cache, be sure to write down the ornament object on your personal notes or take a photo with your device, whatever is most convenient, to remember which ornament was found with each numbered Can of Christmas.
- Unlike last year, all the needed clues for the final at each of the series caches are already in place at the time of hiding and publishing.
A congratulations on FTF goes to KB3PPS and KB3PPS . Now 4-for-6 at the first half of the Twelve Cans! Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Merry Christmas from the Green-Hippo household!
(mrGreen317, Sage-Hippo, and littleEEE)