Selbysport is a small town where the first settlement in Garret County Maryland was, making it the first and oldest town in the county. Later on in 1765 a man by the name of John Friend Sr. bought the land from the Native Americans. The town only became well know when the B and O Railroad was built, in 1890. With the construction of the railroad, the busy train track put the town on the map as an important shipping spot for lumber. Selbsport, only minutes from Friendsville, Maryland lies along the Youghiogheny River Lake which provides a number of water recreation opportunities.