The unstaffed station opened on 10 March 1862 and closed for goods traffic on 2 December 1974. It was originally named Monkstown Ferry and renamed on 01 May 1868
Red brick and limestone building typical of the era. The single-span ornate cast-iron foot bridge made in the Scottish foundry of George Smith & Co. Sun Foundry Glasgow, was erected c. 1890 and has Corinthian-style columns supporting landing, span and straight flight stairs. The foundry plaque is on the south landing.