This cache commemorates a very early but short-lived station just north of Cambridge at Chesterton. The Eastern Counties Railway opened a 'flag station' (or request stop) at Chesterton Junction on 19 January 1850. It only remained open until some time later in October 1850 and was situated on the north side of Fen Road just before the main line crossed the River Cam (approximately where the yellow triangle is marked on the aerial view of the area below):
Two lines passed through this area - the Cambridge to St Ives line and the main Cambridge to Kings Lynn line. After the station's closure, this triangle of land between the St Ives branch and the main line was used at least from 1911 by the permanent way department to store materials and was made up of a number of sidings.
A signal box controlling the junction and level crossing (marked on the view above) over Fen Road stood at the northern end of the river bridge until November 1984. GZ is shown by the red X on the aerial view
For more information on SideTracked Caches please visit www.SideTrackedSeries.co.uk