FYI 200 – Union Mills Station
The cache is not accessible when the roads are closed for racing!
We are often told that geocaches should take us to somewhere "interesting", and not simply be placed just for the sake of it. The FYI series concept is to base a cache around details given on an Information Board, plaque or similar feature about the area in which it is situated, or the person / building / location it describes. By definition, it is hoped that this information will be "interesting", and will help the cacher discover things that would often not be revealed by a traditional cache.
This is a simple multi - find the info, do the sums and a short walk to the final.
At the given coords you will find an information board, please answer the following questions.
1. The number of black and white photographs that appear on the board (not including the ‘headline’) = A
2. Shortly after the Douglas to Peel line opened, a ballast train of BC wagons ran into the back of a passenger train.
3. The number of letters in the surname of the stationmaster who was dismissed for false accounting = D
4. The number of the Pender involved in an accident at Douglas because the guard had been left behind at Union Mills = E
5. Stationmaster Hogg had served as a railwayman for FG years by the time of his unfortunate death. (My Mum, who grew up in the IOM and lives in Union Mills now, remembers the reporting of this sad event!).
The cache can be found at ... N 54 10.CA(D-E) W 004 3B.A(F+B)G
I hope that you find this an interesting variation on the caching experience. For a full list of all FYI caches in the series, please go to
Do you know of any interesting / informative Information Boards, or similar? If you'd like to contribute to the continued expansion of the FYI series, please contact the Series Owner, Airtomoreira, either via the Geocaching website, or at firstname.lastname@example.org for a series number, and some general guidelines on placement and the cache description page.