Skip to Content

<

Convento de Cristo Virtual Cache [Tomar]

A cache by Paulo Hércules Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 06/04/2019
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: virtual (virtual)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:



Convento de Cristo / Convent of Christ

O Castelo Templário e o Convento de Cristo de Tomar foram classificados como Património da Humanidade pela UNESCO em 1983.

O local onde foi construído o convento tem, por si só, uma enorme carga mítica, uma vez que era um antigo local de culto dos Romanos, existindo também vestígios da presença muçulmana.

No entanto, seria no reinado de D. Afonso Henriques que seria estabelecida a ligação aos Templários, doando aos Cavaleiros do Templo de Jerusalém, uma vasta região entre o Mondego e o Tejo.

Conta a lenda que, em 1160, os cavaleiros chegados à região escolheram um monte para estabelecer um castelo e o nome que lhe iriam dar: Tomar.

Em 1314, a Ordem do Templo foi extinta devido às perseguições do rei de França.

Graças à vontade de D. Dinis, as pessoas, os bens e os privilégios foram totalmente integrados, em 1319, numa nova ordem - a Milícia dos Cavaleiros de Cristo que iria, com o Infante D. Henrique, apoiar a nação portuguesa na empresa das descobertas marítimas dos séculos XV e XVI.

O Castelo de Tomar é então Convento e sede da Ordem e o Infante Navegador seu Governador e Administrador perpétuo.

O castelo existe desde 1160 e inclui uma charola octogonal (do final do século XII) e um santuário românico.

O Convento viria a ser construído já durante o século XIV.

Este vasto conjunto monumental fala-nos de sete séculos da história de Portugal e formam a maior área monumental de Portugal.

O facto de ter sido construído e ampliado ao longo de vários séculos fez com que este monumento se tornasse numa espécie de livro da História da Arte nacional, já que são vários os estilos arquitetónicos presentes.

É assim que que o Convento de Cristo encerra no seu conjunto arquitectural testemunhos da arte românica, com os templários; do Gótico e do Manuelino com as descobertas, prosseguindo com a arte do Renascimento durante a Reforma da Ordem; depois o Maneirismo e finalmente o Barroco em ornamentos arquitectónicos.

Cada um deles reflete uma época, mas também a própria evolução de um país que viria a aventurar-se pelos mares e por outros continentes, trazendo dessas viagens influências que seriam gravadas nas pedras deste convento.

É um dos edifícios com mais claustros em todo mundo (dois foram edificados na época do Infante D. Henrique e outros sete construídos posteriormente), e durante o período filipino foi construído um aqueduto (Pegões) com seis quilómetros de extensão, destinado a abastecer o convento e as terras da Cerca dos Sete Montes.

Destaque especial para a Janela do Capítulo, a mais simbólica das cinco janelas do Coro Baixo da igreja do Convento. Expoente máximo da Arte Manuelina tornou-se um ícone do património português recheado de alusões às Descobertas e à História de Portugal. Pela profusão dos elementos decorativos manuelinos característicos e intenso simbolismo, é referência da Arte portuguesa.

Fontes: http://www.cm-tomar.pt | http://turismodocentro.pt

The Templar Castle and the Convent of Christ of Tomar were classified as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1983.

The place where the convent was built has, in itself, a huge mythical charge, since it was a former place of worship of the Romans, and there are also vestiges of the Muslim presence.

However, it would be in the reign of D. Afonso Henriques that the connection to the Templars would be established by donating to the Knights of the Jerusalem Temple a vast region between the Mondego and the Tagus.

Legend has it that in 1160 the horsemen arrived in the region chose a hill to establish a castle and the name they would give it: Tomar.

In 1314, the Order of the Temple was extinguished due to the persecutions of the king of France.

Thanks to D. Dinis' wishes, people, goods and privileges were fully integrated in 1319 into a new order - the Militia of the Knights of Christ, which would, with Prince Henry, support the Portuguese nation in the company of discoveries of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.

The Castle of Tomar is then Convent and headquarters of the Order and the Navigator Infant its Governor and perpetual Administrator.

The castle has existed since 1160 and includes an octagonal tray (from the late 12th century) and a Romanesque shrine.

The Convent was already built during the fourteenth century.

This vast monumental complex tells us about seven centuries of Portugal's history and forms the largest monumental area of Portugal.

The fact that it was built and extended over several centuries made this monument become a kind of book of the National History of Art, since there are several architectural styles present.

This is how the Convent of Christ contains in its architectural ensemble testimonies of Romanesque art, with the Templars; of the Gothic and the Manueline with the discoveries, continuing with the art of the Renaissance during the Reformation of the Order; then Mannerism and finally the Baroque in architectural ornaments.

Each of them reflects an era, but also the very evolution of a country that would venture through the seas and other continents, bringing from these trips influences that would be engraved on the stones of this convent.

It is one of the most cloistered buildings in the world (two were built during the time of Henry the Navigator and another seven built later), and during the Philippine period an aqueduct (Pegões) was built, six kilometers long, to supply the convent and the lands of the Fence of the Seven Mountains.

Special highlight for the Chapter House Window (Janela do Capítulo), the most symbolic of the five windows of the Lower Chorus of the church of the Convent. The greatest exponent of Manueline art has become an icon of the Portuguese heritage filled with allusions to the Discoveries and History of Portugal. By the profusion of characteristic Manueline decorative elements and intense symbolism, it is a reference of the Portuguese Art.

Sources: http://www.cm-tomar.pt | http://turismodocentro.pt

Para registar como encontrada / How to claim the found

Para registares esta Cache Virtual como encontrada tens de visitar o local das coordenadas publicadas e, publicar no registo de found uma fotografia tirada no exterior do edifício na qual seja visível a Janela do Capítulo e o geocacher ou algo que o identifique (por exemplo o nome do geocacher escrito num papel).

In order to claim the found on this Virtual Cache you must visit the place of the posted coordinates and publish on the found log a photograph taken outside the building in which is visible the Chapter House Window (Janela do Capítulo) and the geocacher or something that identifies him (for example the nickname written in a paper).

Horário e Informações Úteis / Timetable & Useful Information

Outubro a Maio: 09h00 às 17h30
(última entrada às 17h00)

Junho a Setembro: 09h00 às 18h30
(última entrada às 18h00)

Encerrado em: 01 de Janeiro, domingo de Páscoa, 01 de Maio e 25 de Dezembro.

Estacionamento pago.

Preço do bilhete individual: 6,00 €

Crianças até aos 12 anos inclusive não pagam.

Visita Gratuita: domingos e feriados até às 14h00 para todos os cidadãos residentes em território nacional.

Mais informações úteis: Convento Cristo

October to May: 09h00 to 17h30
(last entry at 17h00)

June to September, 09h00 to 18h30
(last entry at 18h00)

Closed on: 1st January, Easter Sunday, 1st May and 25th December.

Paid Parking.

Price of individual ticket: € 6.00

Children up to and including 12 years old do not pay.

Free Visit: Sundays and holidays until 14h00 for all citizens residing in national territory.

More useful information: Convent of Christ


This page was generated by Geocaching Portugal Listing Generator


Virtual Rewards 2.0 - 2019/2020

This Virtual Cache is part of a limited release of Virtuals created between June 4, 2019 and June 4, 2020. Only 4,000 cache owners were given the opportunity to hide a Virtual Cache. Learn more about Virtual Rewards 2.0 on the Geocaching Blog.

Additional Hints (No hints available.)



 

Find...

34 Logged Visits

Found it 31     Write note 2     Publish Listing 1     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 142 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated:
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.