This virtual has been set as part of the Virtual Rewards 2.0 series, a limited release of 4000 caches worldwide.
The timing of the release of these rewards. at the start of June. coincided with the D Day commemorations taking place. This got me to thinking about placing my virtual reward at a War Memorial and for it to be published on the series anniversary, 1st July. After consideration I thought it would be fitting to place it at the Desert Rats War Memorial at High Ash, Mundford in honour of my Grandfather and mrs db’s Uncle. Quite coincidentally and unbeknownst to us they both served with the REME’s as part of the Desert Rats campaign through North Africa and on into Europe. This virtual reward cache is placed in their memories.
I would like to thank John and Simon from The Desert Rats Association who have fully supported my request to place this cache at the Memorial. They directed me to the Desert Rats Association web page contains a lot of interesting information and I would encourage you to look it up for further information on the Memorial and the role of The Desert Rats.
- The memorial is dedicated to all who served in the 7th Armoured Division (The Desert Rats), the 4th Armoured Brigade (The Black Rats) and the 7th Armoured Brigade (The Green Jerboa), throughout history.
- The Mark IV Cromwell Tank on the plinth is a replica of "Little Audrey” 5 Able, "B" Squadron, 1st Royal Tank Regiment.
When visiting this site I would ask that prior to completing the tasks to claim the cache that you take a short while to reflect upon the brave actions of all those that gave and still give so much on our behalf.
To claim this virtual cache you must email or message me your answers via my geocaching profile. Please include a photo with your log of you or your GPS in front of the memorial (that could be any side that does not include the information required to log). Any logs which do not meet the logging requirements will be deleted without warning. All the answers can be found within the area of the memorial and the space between it and the car park.
- You will see 4 white stripes on the rear underside of "Little Audrey". Look to the right of this. Who served as a gunner?
- On the large upright noticeboard towards the car park is a plan of the area that says ‘You are here’ with a number 1 above it. What is the number in purple just below ‘You are here?
- Next to this noticeboard is a telegraph pole with 5 white discs at or just above head height, depending on how tall you are. The two letters are D and P what are the three numbers?
- Just behind a sign saying 1.5 km circular route is a Desert Rats information board. Once you have read the information take a look at the back of the board. How many sandbags high is the support for the information board?
- Each person claiming a find must attach a photo of themselves or their GPS in front of the memorial to the Found It log.
This site is not just about the Memorial, there is a chance to take a stroll around the information boards to learn about the use of the site as a training area for The Desert Rats. If you have not already completed the multi cache The Desert Rats in Thetford Forest https://coord.info/GC114XZ then this may be the ideal opportunity to do so, it is well worth the time and along the way there are two other Desert Rat related caches that can be claimed if you find them.
Please take great care when entering or leaving the site from/to the A1065. This is a straight stretch of road which some see as the ideal place to overtake. There is no need to go near the road in order to complete the cache, but please keep young cachers and pets under close supervision as traffic also uses the track past the memorial to get to the nearby properties and caravan site.
Thanks are also due to Just-us-Two who made me aware that he was in a position to allocate a very appropriate War Memorial number to this cache – the number 7.
The series is dedicated to those who fought for their country. "We will remember them!”
If anyone would like to place a War Memorial Cache of your own then please do so. We would ask if you do so please contact Just-us-Two through their profile page or on email at
firstname.lastname@example.org</a> so they can keep track of numbers
*****PLEASE NOTE IMPORTANT *****
****PHYSICAL CACHES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PLACED ON THE ACTUAL MEMORIAL OR WITHIN THE
BOUNDARY OF SUCH MEMORIALS AT ALL TIMES TREAT LOCATIONS OF MEMORIALS WITH RESPECT. ****
Virtual Rewards 2.0 - 2019/2020
This Virtual Cache is part of a limited release of Virtuals created between June 4, 2019 and June 4, 2020. Only 4,000 cache owners were given the opportunity to hide a Virtual Cache. Learn more about Virtual Rewards 2.0 on the Geocaching Blog.
Congratulations to CaptSlogg on being the FTF