Green Point Urban Park is beautiful, rich in Biodiversity and filled with loads of fun activities such as walking, cycling, playing with the kids, working out on the gym equipment or simply relaxing on a blanket with a picnic.
The water features are a major highlight. Many water birds can be seen here, along with a diversity of wetland flora. Thanks to streams that flow directly from Table Mountain, the water is fresh and clean. The wetlands attracts a diversity of insects and other creatures, further adding to the park’s beauty.
Biodiversity Showcase Garden
The Biodiversity Garden is filled with flora and fauna, with hundreds of endemic plant species. There are also beautiful animal sculptures, a Khoi display, interactive features, demonstration gardens and other amazing things to explore. Look out for the biodiversity trail and the wetland walk, spot unique artwork and statues, and enjoy the useful interpretative boards that help you navigate through the garden.
There are two separate play parks for children. The Tot-Lot Play Park is especially designed for toddlers and smaller kids between the ages of 1 and 6 years. There’s also an Adventure Play Park that is ideal for older children of 7 to 16 years. This means that little ones can enjoy a safe environment with age-appropriate equipment, while the bigger kids can let off steam with a range of ‘big kid’ facilities.
There are plenty of pretty areas to enjoy a picnic at the park. These include covered picnic areas as well as lawns. Bring a picnic basket, find a sunny spot on the grass and relax as you take in the heavenly views that abound. It is a good idea to take along an empty plastic bag for any trash. There are bins situated throughout the park but as littering is strictly prohibited, it’s best to be prepared with your own trash bag.
Getting fit has never been more fun or rewarding. The fitness park is home to a wide range of outdoor fitness facilities. You’ll be able to get a great workout at this outdoor gym, which is out in the fresh air, surrounded by spectacular natural scenery. Best of all, it doesn’t cost a cent to access the fitness park.
Regular Park Runs are often held here. There are many wide paths that are perfect for running, walking, cycling or even prams and wheelchairs. Sign posts are positioned throughout the park. These are important to read as they explain which areas are designated for specific activities.
Info can be found at "https://www.cometocapetown.com/green-point-urban-park/"
Entry into the park is free of charge however there are a few simple rules:
- The park opens at 7h00 and closes at 19h00 daily
- The park is used at your own risk, including the play and exercise equipment
- Camping, bathing, fires, braais, overnight sleeping, loud music, flower picking and alcohol are not permitted
- Children must be supervised at all times
- Dogs are welcome and must be on a leash at all times, however they are not permitted in the Biodiversity Showcase Garden
In order to log this find, you need to complete the following:
- Start at the posted co-ordinates, stand in the middle of the stepping stone bridge and take a photo of the water wheel (Send this photo to us)
- Head over to the Water Wheel and answer this question “The location of the early canals are identified today by such street names as... What are the names the three streets” (Send answer to us)
- Proceed to the middle of the Wooden Bridge and add a photo to your log of either the Stadium, Signal Hill or Lighthouse
- Proceed to the Labyrinth and answer this question “ How may labyrinth markers in total are situated around the labyrinth? (Send answers to us)
- Lastly walk over to the Sun Dial and take a photo of your feet/shoes or GPS on the month that you have found this Virtual cache. (Send this photo to us)
This Virtual Cache is part of a limited release of Virtuals created between June 4, 2019 and June 4, 2020. Only 4,000 cache owners were given the opportunity to hide a Virtual Cache. Learn more about Virtual Rewards 2.0 on the Geocaching Blog.